Fuck Up

Alex smirked over at Layne, who was sitting at the cafeteria table with him and Nicky, playing with his food. Nicky, of course, seemed to be doing the same.

"Hey, Goat Man...Skeletor," Alex whispered to them.

They both turned to him, their dull eyes narrowed. It had been a couple weeks since their "reunitement"...and things had gotten anything but better.

Nicky quickly lost the weight she had put on. She was down to 80 pounds, but the nurses didn't know it because she stuffed heavy objects into her sweaters and tyed them around her ankles. Layne seemed to be following her path due to not being able to get his "fix". All he did was drink ensure, which wasn't enough for him to maintain the weight he was at. He was down to 100 pounds, but wore layers of shirts & pants to keep warm. He didn't dare go see Dr. Ryan again, not even if the doctor ordered it. He would simply threaten to call his lawyer & John was too gullible not to take it lightly.

They both looked like worn out and pissed off drug fiending skeletons. Their skin was almost yellow at this point due to vitamin deficiency, their eyes frighteningly huge and sunken deep into their skulls. They wanted to get the fuck out of there. The group sessions were a JOKE and individual therapy just pissed Layne off and made him want to use even more. He refused to do "family therapy" with Sean, Jerry, and Mike. Layne didn't see the point in it. All they were going to do is say the same shit they've been telling him since 1993. He was tired of hearing it.

"Ugh, what?" Layne finally responded to Alex, his voice hoarse & tired. He immediately pinched the space between his eyebrows, a grimace stretching the corners of his mouth. "Please don't be obnoxious right now, Alex? My head is killing me..." he whimpered, eyes turning to Nicky, who was stacking her potato wedges on top of one another.

"Maybe if you sticks would EAT, you wouldn't have a head ache," Alex barked, though still smiling. He noticed the both of them glaring off into space again. It's almost impossible talking to these starving idiots, Alex thought to himself. He rolled his eyes and nudged Layne again, getting Layne to look down at what was in his hand.

Layne's eyes suddenly shot to life. He wetted his lips & felt a smirk crease on his emaciated face. "How in the world did you get that...?" Layne whispered, his eyes still stuck on the PCA / nurse key card.

Nicky suddenly seemed interested, leaning in to see the card herself. She immediately grinned, looking over at Layne who was glancing back at her. "We can get out of here," she whispered to him, her weak voice drenched with excitement.

"We have to do it tonight," Alex muttered to them, his eyes slanting back and forth to make sure none of the PCAs were near them. "On Friday's, they do really sloppy shift changes at night... I've watched it happen this past month... It's always at 11:45 at night. The PCAs all leave and the graveyard shifters don't even show up til 5 after midnight."

Layne raised his brow. "We can't go out the exit door to the entrance..."

Alex rolled his eyes. "That's why we're going to go through the smoke break room."

"That's fucking genius," Nicky squeaked quietly, squeezing Alex's hand. "It's technically outdoors, so we can climb over the wall with one of the benches...."

"And it's right there in the lounging area where our rooms are," Alex added, a devious smirk planted on his face.

Layne nodded his head in agreement with the plan. "Let's fucking do it then...I'm tired of this hell hole..."

All three of them turned around, noticing all of the crazies and addicts were beginning to line up in the hallway outside of the cafeteria. Alex slid his key card he had stolen back into his pants pocket. He got up from his seat, winking at them.