Chapter 17: You Liked My Smell

"So tired."
"You know, we can just go home."
What did I mean with home?
"No, no," he reacted, pulling his camera out of his backpack and handing it to me. I closed my fingers around it while he closed the zip again.
"Here," we were talking quite silently. All the energy we had at the start of the day, was now slowly getting away. Dan wanted to bring me to one last spot, even though it was already seven.
"What about we get a coffee first?" I asked him, noticing how slow we were going.
"Yeah, okay. We can drink it on the way." He looked around in thought, probably thinking of where exactly we were and where the closest coffee shop was.
"Aha! There's one around the corner. Two blocks."
He pulled on my hand, and instantly I closed it around his. It had become a habit, everytime I went too slow for his legs or his enthousiasm, to take my hand. I didn't mind at all.

We stepped into the warm and light shop. It wasn't cold or anything outside, but since it had rained two days before, the weather had dropped and the air felt humid at all times. It was better than hot and humid, but it still wasn't a kind of situation I liked.
It made me feel greasy for some reason.

"Okay," Dan's voice was kind of husky because he was tired, and I felt goosebumps. That was HOT.
"What do you want?"
I shrugged. "I think just a cappucino. Double."
He raised his eyebrows. "I didn't see you as such a caffeine-slut."
I gasped, slapping him hard on his shoulder. His grin fell slightly as he rubbed on the spot. "You have a mean slap."
"Well, you're just plain mean," I countered, then mumbling under my breath: "Calling me a slut."
"Hey," he soothed. "You know I was just kidding right?"
It was now my time to grin at him. "Of course I do, you slut."
I was really proud of myself when I saw the corners of his lips go back up, creating dimples and wrinkles next to his eyes. I did that. I made him this happy.

"What can I get for you?" The cashier turned to us. He had just finished off with the person in front of us and looked us up and down. His gaze stayed put on my legs and then got stuck on my face. He didn't even give Dan a second look. I must have blushed.
It's not like I think I'm ugly or something, I know I'm not. Not at all, I knew I was actually pretty cute. Petite, long hair, my eyes. Many guys got hooked on the colours. But I could usually keep everyone on a distance by just being myself: sometimes using spells or words from another universe and yelling weird insults. So even if a guy tried to talk to me, he would leave with an excuse just a minute later.
But this guy hadn't seen me on active. I was tired as shit.
I smiled at the guy, placing my order. He was going to turn away to make it, as Dan also placed his.
"Sure bro," the cashier mumbled.

When our drinks were ready, he handed me mine and let Dan's rest on the counter. "Hey sweetie, I can give you fifty percent on your order if you take my number with you. Aand what are you doing with that f*g, want to get to know a real man?" he winked. I blushed harder. "I don't think that's a good idea, bro," Dan said next to me before I could answer.
"Why not bro? It's not like she's with you." The guy grinned. I just got so furious at him right then, that I fiercly took a grip on Dan's hand. "Babe, we need to get going, remember?" I said, standing on my tiptoes to 'seductivly' whisper something in his ear.
Actually, it was just: "Don't hate me." When I said that, Dan frowned. "Why would I hate you?" He whispered back. I took in a sharp breath and leant in. I placed my lips softly right next to his, not on them, but very close.
I felt his cheeks warm as I pulled away. "Come on babe, we don't want to miss it."
He was grinning so wide it must have hurt. Suddenly wide awake, he paid our drinks and we made our way out, leaving the speechless guy behind.

Stepping into the chilly air made me realise how warm I was. I must have been so red because of that trick I just played. I also noticed how Dans ears were pink. He was way too excited, and hadn't even drunk from his coffee yet.
"Jo, that was amazing! I've seen such things a lot in shows, but I never had the honour to be part of it IRL," he was rambling, taking gulps of his cup between words. He was heading in the direction we were going before we entered the shop. I followed him with quick steps, because his enthousiasm made him walk even faster.
"I know how," I huffed, "amazing I am and all, but would you keep in mind I'm 5,6?" I was full on sweating now.
"Oh!" He exclaimed. He came to a stop to wait for me. "You're right by the way. That was amazing." I thanked him, and he started walking again, with smaller and slower steps.
"You know," he said, pushing his words in the now almost dark sky, "I always forget how tall I am." His gaze was steady on something on the horizon. "And then I meet like, fans, and they're always like: Oh my God, you're so tall!" He frowned. "And then I feel awkward about it."
I rubbed his arm. "I'm often awkward about my height too, because I have such tall friends. But it's not like people will care less about you if you were to be a head shorter tomorrow. Not the ones that really matter anyway."
He looked at me thoughtfully. His smile slowly grew. "You're such a cutie, Joanna."
I tried to be serious, but his smile was contagious. "You could have just said thanks. But because I have such a big heart," I grinned, "You can pay me with a piggy-back ride."
He laughed shortly, the high amazing laugh he would sometimes bark out when he was with Phil. It made me feel so good, to know I was appreciated like his best friend was.
He bowed down a bit, with his arms to the back. I walked back a few steps. Then, I ran and took the leap. My hands gripped on his shoulders, I lifted myself on his back.
"Umph!" He huffed. I imediately tried to lift myself up a bit. "I'm sorry! Am I too heavy?"
He shood his head. "No no, you're a lightweight."
He grabbed my legs, wrapping them around his waist. As I started to relax and Dan started to walk, I wrapped my arms around him and put my head down. I sighed.
"Enjoying yourself?"
"Very much, thank you."

*************************************

"The Eye?" I asked surprised. Dan had taken away his hands from my eyes.
"Is it open this late?"
"It surprised me too, but apparently, yes."
I looked up at the giant ferris wheel throwing shadows in great forms. The carriages were moving and the lights were on. But the queue couldn't have been as long as it normally was. Dan stuck his hand in his pocket, showing me a piece of paper.
"Here, this is yours," he mumbled as he handed me the ticket. I glanced at it, eyeing the price. "I'll pay this back, don't worry."
"You don't have to pay me back," he said as he walked toward the end of the queue. I watched his dark silhoutte for a moment, filled with confusion. I ran to keep up with him. "You don't need to pay for me, Dan. I saved up money for these things."
"It's for your birthday," he stated simply, taking a last gulp of his coffee before dumping it in a bin next to the queue.
"You already got me something for my birthday, remember?" I tried not to think of the embarrasment I felt. But it was too late. The memory gave me chills, but it also made warmth spread through my body.
"I didn't get you anything, Jo," he smiled down on me and put his arm around me. "I gave you an old shirt."
"Because I liked it! That counts as a gift!" I exclaimed. Dan made his beginning of a laugh sound. A short, loud chuckle. "Technically, you didn't like the shirt." He rubbed my back. "You liked the smell. You liked my smell." He sort of giggled, which I found way too amusing.
"I'm defeated," I sighed, leaning my head on his arm.
"Come on," and I felt the smile vibrate through him.
"Come through please," the man in front of the queue said. We showed him our tickets. "Have a good night," he smiled, and we entered the carriage.

*************************************

Going up was a struggle. "Did I ever tell you I'm afraid of heights, by the way?" I asked, leaning closer to Dan. He looked at me worried, turning away from the view. "Are you okay?" He frowned. "You should have told me!" He laid his hands on my face, pushing away some strands of hair. "Oh shit, you're pale," he blew warm air in my face.
"I'm always pale, Daniel."
I tried not looking at the view. "I love views," I sighed. "I just can't stand them while moving."
He smiled at me, his hands still on my face. I felt sick.
"Just don't look, okay? Focus on me, look at me," he whispered, looking very worried. "You don't have to miss it because I do. You paid for this."
But he shook his head, embracing me. "I want to help you. Also, I don't want you to vomit in here," he was still whispering.
We just kept that way until Dan rubbed my back and pulled away. "We're on the top," he said as he stepped away from the view. I took in a sharp breath as I looked down on London in the dark. Well, I couldn't call it dark, as the city was full of light, movement and noise. The night was supposed to be quiet, but it was part of the charm of big cities. The fact that it was never completely silent.
"Do you like it?" Dan asked, stepping closer.
"I love it," I nodded. "It is magical."