Chapter 22: A Brother Is Like This

His warm breath tickled my neck before he set his rough lips in place. I sucked in a sharp breath, curling against him. His body followed mine, until we were as close as people could get. I was leaning against a wall, but he was the one that held me straight. My fingers dug in his back, and I sighed softly.
"Jo," he moaned.
"Jo,"
"Jo?"

There were fingers stroking my forehead lovingly. My eyes fluttered as my dream faded. A dream, that's all it was, and all it will ever be.
"Hey, goodmorning," Dan whispered. He was crouched down besides the extra bed. Him and Phil had invited us to stay over our last night. I slept here, Lisa on the sofa, and Jolene.. Well, we all know where she was.
"Hi," I grumbled in my cracking morning voice. My eyes were barely open, but I could still see how beautiful Dan looked. He had a huge and warm smile on his face, showing his left dimple. Crouched down like this, with his hand on my head, he looked like some kind of angel. This is good. A completely other atmospere than my dream, but stil.. Amazing.
I had to leave today. Realising that, my slight smile fell and was replaced with a frown. Dan frowned too, tilting his head questionly. As I sat up, I saw he understood what I was thinking about. But before he could say anything, I tackled him in a hug. We hugged tightly, I placed my cheek on his shoulder, giving me a view on his neck. "I'll miss you a lot," I sighed, my nose brushing his neck.
"I'll miss you too." I turned my head to look at him and he placed his lips on my forehead. I closed my eyes.
"So much."

***********************************

I pulled my shirt over my head, turning to the mirror. It hadn't gotten warm again after that first rainy night, so I was wearing normal trousers.
I tilted my head looking at myself. You can do this, Jo. After that, you'll never see him again anyways. Unless it turns out amazing.
I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. Even though I was madly in love with him, it didn't mean he returned those feelings. You can't force someone to feel those things.
"Jo?" A soft knock landed on the door, and Phil's voice sounded. "Can I speak to you for a moment?"
I jumped, my thoughts fading away as I turned to the door. I opened it and stepped through. I smiled up at Philly and pulled the door close.
"Sure," I said. "What's up?"
He frowned down on me. He hesitated to speak op to me. I got worried. Was something wrong? Did something happen with Jolene? God I sure hope it didn't. The two were perfect for each other.
"Joanna," he sighed, and my heart started beating faster. Shit. Something did happen. "I know how much I will miss you guys, and you know, mostly Jolene of course. I like her so much." His eyes were shining, and I felt relieved. It wasn't Jolene. But what was it then?
"And Jo, I also know, even though you're doing your very best to hide it," he went on. I frowned. What was this about? "How much you like Dan-"
My eyes widened. Ow.
"And I was wondering if you were planning on.. Doing something about it?" He grinned sheepily. Heat flushed my cheeks and I smiled down, at the ground.
"Actually.. I was."
Phil started to cheer, smiling extremely wide. I quickly shushed him. "Shut up! Do you want him to hear us?"
He bit down on his lip, but squeling sounds still came through. He clapped softly. "Tell me about your plans!"
I shrugged. "I don't really have plans," I said, looking away. "I was planning on laying it on him in Dover."
"Right before you leave?" He sounded dissapointed. "But then you won't have any quality time!"
"It's not even guaranteed that he'll respond to my feelings, Philly," I sighed. "There's a bigger chance that he won't." Phil wanted to say something, but I patted his shoulder and entered the lounge.

"Sweetheart," Dan said before once again taking me in his arms for an embrace. "I just realised that with you away, I'll have to deal everyday with lovesick Philly," he sighed. I smiled at his chest. Dan sounded content at this moment, as was I.
"You'll get used to it. I'll have to deal with Jolene."
"Guess both of our lives are ruined."
Maybe now... I opened my mouth slowly, but then closed it again. No. No place to hide if it goes wrong.