chapter 13

"What?"

I looked over at Harry and his expression mirrored mine.

"But I'm not guilty!" Harry pleaded.

"The decision is final, 15 to 20 years in prison. Case dismissed." The judge ordered.

She got up from her stand, slowly taking her time out of the room. As soon as the door closed I lost it.

"Dad, how could you?" I asked.

"Rae, I know what's best. I'm doing what's best." He sternly replied.

"So what's best is letting a murderer go free on the street?" I said holding myself from yelling.

"Doesn't matter if he did it, I was doing my job." He spat.

"You couldn't have fought so hard." I muttered.

"What did you say?" His voice hard.

I had enough with my dad, he didn't see Harry as I did. No-one saw Harry as I did. I needed to get away from him before I said something I really would regret. I began walking over to Harry until my dad spoke.

"Rae, don't go over there." He commanded.

"I can do what I like, dad."

I ignored the on going comments he was yelling at me, and made my way towards Harry. I started to break as soon as I saw the cops come for him. Harry didn't look happy when I made my way towards him. But I took him into a tight hug anyway.

"Rae, you should've listened to your dad and stayed with him. He'll definitely kill me now." He chuckled.

"You're not guilty," I said ignoring his comment.

When I pulled him closer, he didn't object. He stood there, holding me in an embrace. What if this was the last time I'm able to do this? I couldn't help my eyes from watering; fighting back my tears. I know this seems to be going fast, but I feel like I've known Harry my whole life. He's different.

"I know, Baby. I know." He hushed into my hair.

I ignored the cops coming for Harry, instead I pulled him closer. Almost as if I could pull him away from them, and make him go anywhere but here.

"Rae Taylor, if you do not come here right now, I will take you home. Where you will stay from now on." My father nearly yelled.

I looked up Harry, his eyes begging me not to go, but his hands were lighting pushing me away.

"Go. I'll see you soon. Promise?" His light tone asking me to come see him.

I simply nod, keeping my eyes away from his own. His fingers reached up to hold my chin, angling my eyes to meet bright green ones.

"We know the truth, that's all that counts. Don't worry about me, I have my ways, we'll meet freely soon." He smiled.

Harry leant down to my right cheek, giving me a light peck and one on the other. I hear a chair sliding forcibly on the hardwood floor. I let it go and focus on Harry. His right thumb rubbing soothing circles on the tops of my of my forearms, the other still holding my chin. He placed one last kiss on the tip of my nose before pulling away. I'm memorised by his touch until I hear my dad behind me.

"That's enough!" He shouts. "Rae, car. Now."

I hesitantly move away from Harry, to go and walk towards the car. Harry gives a small smile before the police men take him into handcuffs. I gasp when I see the men roughy push Harry to the dark wood stained door. My father happily watches Harry being walked out, but a look flashes across his face and he calls to Harry. The cops stop along with Harry. He looks back to me, giving a hard glare and harshly mouthing "go" to me. I feel myself backing up and making my way behind a wall; where I'm no longer visible to them. I stayed put, hoping to hear the faint voices being exchanged between them.