chapter 34

Chapter 34

Rae's POV

One week. One week this trial has been going on. I don't know how much more I can handle, sitting on this hard bench, day after day, listening to evidence that I wouldn't even think mattered. I just want Harry to be free. I want to be able to go out to dinner, or grab a coffee after a long day at work with him. I want to watch movies on the couch and fall asleep in his arms. I don't think I have ever wanted anything so badly...

"Objection!" I hear my father yell, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Your honor, the evidence is not relevant to the facts of this case."

"Overruled," the judge said.

I could see my father getting frustrated, though I didn't really mind.

Mr. Hampton continued questioning Mason Campbell, the bouncer that was working the night of the murder. He was huge with tattoos covering his arms, not to mention is biceps were the size of my head.

"Now Mr. Campbell, could you please tell us about that night?" Mason took a few seconds to think how to word his answer.

"I was working the shift to cover for my friend. I remember letting Harry in. I've seen him around before, never really talked much though. He had a couple drinks, but nothing to affect him much. Maybe a little stumbling here and there, but that's tamed compared to what I usually see. Anyways, he left, a bit tipsy, but like I said, not completely hammered, still coherent. He continued walking for a couple of blocks to where, I assume, this whole ordeal took place. After that though, I don't know what happened," Mason said, finishing his testimony.

"Permission to speak, Your Honor," my father said.

"Sustained," the judge said, allowing him to ask Mason a question.

"Now Mr. Campbell, this club is very popular. Are you sure you would remember someone like Mr. Styles?"

"Yes sir. As I stated before, I have seen him around the club a couple times. If you don't believe me, you could watch the tape," Mason said, challenging my father.

"No, no that's okay. No further questions," my father said.

Mr. Hampton got up to continue questioning Mason.

"Now Mr. Campbell, could you please tell me about Aiden. He has been around the club as well, yes?"

"Yes that is correct. I see him around quite a bit, actually. He's a real scum bag. I always see him hitting up every girl who is in a 5 metre radius, never getting lucky, I might add."

Aiden's face turned red, obviously embarrassed. I couldn't help but let out a small giggle.

"Anyways, he would always get drunk out of his mind. The bartenders even had to refuse to give him any more alcohol. He's just bad news if you ask me."

"Thank you Mr. Campbell, you may leave the stand," Harry's lawyer said.

"I'd like to call Aiden to the stands."

Aiden got up and walked to the stand, not as confident as usual.

"Now Aiden, it's been a week since this trial started, and a lot of evidence has been shown. I'm sure you're getting tired, nerves on end of the possible outcome. Am I right?"

"I have nothing to be afraid of sir, since I'm innocent and all," he said, smirking like a cocky idiot.

"Oh, so you aren't scared of being convicted? You never know what could happen. For instance, a new piece of evidence could be found, and it could be the deciding factor," Mr. Hampton said.

"It could be another weapon like a knife, another gun, or maybe even a metal pole," he said, emphasising the last two words.

Aiden lost all color in his face.

"Let it be known that the victim, did in fact have bruising on his body. Let it also be known that the victim died from a blow to the head, not a gunshot." Aiden's wide eyes started darting around the room.

"Wh-what proof do you have that I used a metal pole to murder someone?" Aiden asked.

"Well if you would look at the monitor, you will see bruises on Mr. Styles arms, chest, and back, that were formed the night of the murder. Now I don't know about you, but I would find it hard to hit myself in the back with a pole, so Aiden, how did those bruises get there?"

"I- it wasn't me! I wouldn't even know where to find a pole like that!"

"Oh it wasn't you? Is that why your fingerprints were found on it? Would you like to explain how they got there?"

"N- no I would not," Aiden said, knowing he has been defeated.

"Thank you, that is all I would like to say." Aiden left the stand, not looking up from the ground.

"Does anyone have something they would like to add?" The judge asked.

My father kept silent, knowing there wasn't much left to be said.

"Each side may make their closing arguments."

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do you really want someone like that," my father said, pointing to Harry, "walking around this town? Who knows what he his capable of! Please take that into consideration," he said, finishing his argument.

I can't believe he said that. I don't think I can look him in the eyes anymore. I'm sick of my father judging him. Does he see who he's defending? A complete arsehole. He is such a hypocrite. I can't even stand to think about him right now. Before thinking any other harsh thoughts, the other side started speaking.

"My client here has obviously made mistakes in the past, but everyone deserves a second chance," Mr. Hampton began.

Harry pulled at his sleeve and whispered in his ear. The lawyer looked hesitant, but nodded to Harry. Harry stood up and started speaking.

"I am obviously not a good person, I mean look at me. I have tattoos everywhere, I have a rap sheet three metres long, but I did not murder this man. I have a lot of reasons why I should be locked up in a cell, but that was my past. This is now, and I'm a new man. I believe everything happens for a reason, too. I think my sister was looking down on me and was saying 'Harry this needs to stop, now,' and so she sent me an angel," he said, looking at me.

"I wish she would have sent me her sooner, but better late than never, right? I believe everyone deserves a second chance, and I may of had a few more than two chances, but I'm taking advantage of this one. I want to be better, and I want to be able to show my progress to the ones I love. I want to be a person that someone can look up to. I can't do that if I'm sitting behind bars for a murder I didn't commit. I need you to see the potential that I could have in myself, to let me go. I hope you will all take into consideration my want and my need to change. Please don't judge me on my past. If you can do that, then I could have an amazing future," he said, looking at me again.

"Thank you," Harry said, finishing his statement.

I had tears brimming in my eyes, and I wasn't the only one. I need this man in my life, and he needs me. I will know soon if this will be possible. The jury stood up and left the room to deliberate and determine the future of this broken man.

--------------

sorry for the wait, I've been abnormally busy this whole week. but all the credit for this chapter goes to @ayeitskendra (the cowriter) because she wrote it because I couldn't.

thanks for 500,000+ reads! you all are amazing!

comment pleasseeee :)