chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Hey, Dani! I have a quick question for you." I yelled to the front of the empty store.

"What's up?" Danielle asked coming back to the tills.

"My friend recently came back from leaving town for a while, and she needs a job. Do we have any open for her here?" I asked whilst opening the new package of books we receive early this morning.

"Well ma-"

"It's okay if not! I was just checking, because I wanted to help get her back on her feet." I cut her off.

It's been a whole week since Harry and I had resolved our issues and I've been seeing Grace and Jocelyn lately, catching up on missed time. Although, I've recently learned she came back because she missed everyone here and face the people who judged her. She told us more about Vince, and I was scared for her. So I had promised her to help get her back on her feet here, and help her to a better life. We've been looking for jobs for her since the beginning of the week. I've been to see Harry a few times but most of the time we was being questioned by a detective and spoke to his attorney to get his case sorted and be able to win.

"I was going to say that's fine! We don't really need the help, but I'd be happy to help her. You can call her to come in now, so we can show her about." She smiled.

"Thank you! And I will." I returned her smile back.

After talking to Jocelyn for a few minutes and telling her she got the job, followed by repeated thank you's, I got back to work. Placing the new books and posters on the front display window. I hummed as I reorganised the missed placed books back where they belong, due to the lazy readers that come here and place the books where they think suits possible.

I picked up The Great Gatsby and started reading from the page I opened it on.

"I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool . . . You see, I think everything's terrible anyhow . . . And I know. I've been everywhere and seen everything and done everything."

A beautiful little fool.

I smiled at the quote. It's one of my favourites throughout the whole novel.

I was broken out of my thoughts when the bell had rang at the door, indicating someone was in the the shop.

"Hello! Welcome to Dani's Book Store. May I help you find something?" I asked the tall, muscular man around thirty, walking into the shop.

His trench coat, and scruffy beard, seemed to off putting towards why he would be here. He seemed to be out of place for someone that would come to a book store, but yet I'm in no place to judge. What he does with his free time is none of my concern.

"Yes, I'm looking for the novel "The Witness for the Prosecution" by Agatha Christie.

"That should be towards the back, in the murder section. You can follow me." I smiled.

He nodded in return as I led him to the back of the shop. I felt strange when the man followed a little too close for my liking. I could hear his hard breath behind me, it was almost like he was breathing down my neck.

I awkwardly turned to the shelf, raising on the tips of my toes to reach the book all the way at the top. But the man came up behind me to reach it.

"Oh, um, yeah that's your book. If you have any other questions feel free to ask." I worriedly smiled, and quickly backed away.

"Wait!" He called.

"Yes...?"

"What's your name? So I can tell the person at the front who helped me." He smiled, but it was anything but comforting.

"Rae." I replied.

He simply nodded with a sly smirk to his lips. I slowly backed away, waiting if he had anything else to say. But nothing had came out of his mouth.

When I came back to the front of the store, I saw two large men outside the display window lingering around the shop. They both seemed younger than the man that had came in but they were equally as built. One had jet black hair, and the other was in complete opposite, with light blonde hair. Yet both were very muscular and both wore black.

They had noticed my staring, and smiled back at me. Not in a friendly way. The one with black hair drew is cigarette from his mouth, whilst the other stubbly scratched his chin with a smug but shy smirk.

I quickly adverted my gaze, and focused on the books in front of me. I sat on the ground, organising the books on the lower shelf. I placed the stickers price tag on each book, and marked them off on the clipboard for inventory.

I looked to my right when the bell to the door rang again. The men outside before walked into the store with determination. They both had hard looks and cold eyes, much different to the playful, flirty one they had before.

"Oi! Matt we gotta go now!" The dark haired one shouted.

"Please no yelling in the store." I told him.

I stood from my spot on the floor, walking up behind the two gentlemen. As I passed the blonde he sent me a wink and the other one rolled his eyes at my scolding.

"Make me." He smiled.

"If you're not going to be quiet, then I'm going to have to ask you to leave." I replied.

"If I leave will you be coming with me?" He smirked.

I was take aback by his forwardness, yet I somewhat expected it. I was about to comment something witty, but thankfully the person he was calling for came to take them back from wherever they came from.

"Sorry about this idiot, we'll be on our way now. Thank you for showing me to this book, Rae." The man who I presumed was Matt told me.

Matt had hit the younger man on the back of the head, in a teasing manner, and left. The blonde one attempted to flirt again and sent me a small wave with a wink.

I didn't acknowledge him any further and went to the back of store. When I heard the bell to the door rang again, I let out a frustrated sign, thinking they were back again.

"Rough day at work?" Jocelyn asked.

"Not exactly."

"Good, I didn't think you could have one working in a book store." She smiled.

"It has it's days. Now come on I want you to meet Dani."

I pulled Jocelyn to the back room, where Danielle was. She had a pencil in her mouth as she counted what looked like boxes of new shipments. She finished counting and took the pencil from her mouth writing on the clipboard. I cleared my throat and Danielle turned towards us with a big smile.

"You must be Jocelyn! It's a pleasure to meet you!" Danielle stuck out her hand for Jocelyn to shake, but ended up pulling her into a hug.

Dani release her, and took her around to show her what to do. Giving her a t shirt to wear as uniform. I let them get to it, and headed back to the front of the shop incase we had any costumers.

Jocelyn's POV

Danielle showed me around the store, telling me how the organisation works, and what I'll have to do.

"Hey, um I have to make a quick call to my mum, she wants to know how I'm doing with the new job. I'll be back in a few minutes, promise." I smiled.

"Sure! Take your time, I'll be in the front when you return." She smiled back and left.

I headed towards the back of the shop, out the back door, making sure no-one could hear me. I memorised the number I wrote in notes and dial the number. I shouldn't be doing this, but it's the only option I have.

"I got the job." I said into the receiver.

"And you'll be working closely with Miss Clarke?"

"Very."

"And she trusts you?" The hard voice asked.

"Yes." My voice cracked.

"Good, you know what you have to do."

------------

please please PLEASE keep commenting though! You have no idea how much help it is to me when you give constructive criticism, or predict what's going to happen. It makes me happy! :)

Thank you for reading, ily.