chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Grace, eat the god damned chip. There's only one left and I ate way more than you." I complained.

Grace and I decided we should catch up a bit since she's been busy with her job and going to her university. She's been planning her whole life since she's been twelve. I see her being very successful later on. Her job is pretty set and allows room for improvement. I know she'll meet the perfect man and have that perfect family you see in movies.

"If I eat that chip, I won't be able to fit in my dress I just bought." She fired back.

"You're skinnier than stick. And one more chip won't ruin you." I rolled my eyes and ate the last chip anyway.

We met up at our usual bakery. Not many people know about this place, but I have no idea how because their food is amazing.

"So I heard your bad boy is back in jail again." Grace commented raising her brow.

"Yes, what about it?" I asked.

A day or two ago, Harry had discovered the new found evidence that had been turned up. Someone had tipped them of a different weapon that was used that wasn't the one Harry had in his hand. They issued a warrant to search the bar where the murder happened. And to everyone's surprise, they did in fact find other gun. The bullets used matched the one in the victims chest, but they also found not only Harry's finger tips, but another man's. Which they won't release the name until they find him, only his gender.

Harry swore to me he didn't see anyone else besides the three of them that night. But he also told me Aiden is always prepared for the worse. So maybe he did that night and had someone there. Harry said Aiden has many people working for him, some he doesn't know about or he can't remember the name, but he does select favourites. His seven goto men.

"How are you holding up?"

"Fine, actually. It's rather scary that it doesn't phase me that he is in there. He looks so natural. And it doesn't phase him either. I mean, yes it's weird that he's like that, but I also don't have to worry about him as much. He handles himself quite well really." I admitted.

"That's good?" She questioned.

"I guess so. I'm not sure. He's so different than how people see him. He doesn't fight me on anything, and sometimes I'm a complete bitch. He just puts up with me. It's like he likes seeing me win."

And that was true. There has only been few times I could count on one hand where we had our differences. Even then, he had always been the one to cave. We had our quarrels but none of them were major. Him, being the way he is, you'd expect different. A challenge.

"Hey, look who's here." Grace's voice broke me out of my thoughts.

I turned around looking over to the person she was subtlety pointy at. It was a tall, slim girl. She looked oddly familiar. Dark wavy hair, and freckles ridden all over her face. I squinted more trying to figure out how I know this girl.

"Is that..-" I started.

"Jocelyn? Yeah." Grace finished.

I haven't seen her since our last year of schooling. She left two months in and never came back. The three of us were so close. But when she 'disappeared' she cut off everyone. Changed her number, and moved out her house. Her parents stayed, but they never talked to anyone. We were so upset, mad even. Heartbroken our best friend left. But all we wanted to know was why. There were rumours of Jocelyn moving because of her boyfriend. It was a mystery how the two lasted. The only way they could be explain was by the book, and a rebel. Parents hated him, teachers hated him, and everyone in school hated him. Yet, how did they make it together? Some say he threatened her, or even abused her. She was the talk of the school when they started dating, and it only made it worse when the two disappeared at the same time.

I remember the late night calls we would have together. Some she was normal, but most of the time she was in hysterics because of him. Vince, never made her feel special. But whatever happened behind closed doors was between them. She said she could never tell us. Not anything.

"She's coming, act normal." Grace whispered.

I nodded and bowed my head away from Jocelyn's vision, pretending to make small talk with Grace.

Unfortunately, she had saw us and made her way over to us. We wanted to block her out, like she had us. No explanation as to why, of even a heads up.

Her shoes came into my line of bowed vision, followed by a clearing of her throat.

"Hey guys, it's been a while." She tried to start a conversation.

Grace and I hummed in respond. Not really making any effort to talk to her, or acknowledge her.

"Guys, I know you're upset, but just here me out?" She pleaded.

"So how's Vince?" I asked fakely smiling up at her.

"You never change, do you, Rae?" She smiled.

"I could be asking the same about you. How's your killer boyfriend?" She continued.

Were we that obvious? I haven't been with him in public seen his last court date. I made sure no-one in my neighbourhood saw us. If they did, there is no doubt I would be ratted out to my dad.

"How are your bruises? Heard you went through some tuff shit. Beaten down were you, yeah?" I smiled wide at her again.

"Okay, children." Grace cut in.

"Now if you don't mind, Joce, we both would like answers. As in you're in no place to be questioning us." Grace told her.

"Fine, have it your way. First off, I miss you both dearly. Even your bitchy attitude, Rae."

"It's a package deal." I but in.

"Most certainly is. Anyway, I haven't talked to Vince, or seen him since a day after I left. And I left because of him. But as soon as he knew I left, he came looking for me. I left because of him. I had horrible judgement, and I really thought I saw the true him. Everyone saw the bad, but I saw something no-one else did. But that side wasn't shown at any point three months before I left. That's when our lovely-dovey honeymoon phase ended. He got more and more physical. I mean, he was always protective and rough, but it showed bits by bits until one day he snapped. It started with drinking and he was never the same. I had to leave, run away from it all. From him. And I knew dropping everything would be the only way. He's gone, but the memory is always fresh. I still have those flashbacks to how it all started. The tiny shove, the gripping of wrist and shouting, followed by pleas of 'I'm sorrys'. The bruises were a warning but I refused to listen." She continued with her eyes becoming glossy.

I immediately pulled down my sleeves, hiding my fading bruising. She was wrong, Harry is completely different. He wasn't like that. He isn't what people think, I know that. He would never hurt me.

Jocelyn saw me pull my shirt down, and hide my wrists. She sighed and gave me a look. I was surprised when she grabbed hold of my hands and raised my shirt. Showing my bruising. They both gasped and looked at me concerned.

"No, no it's not what you think! This was the first... he said that he wasn't himself. And he wasn't! He would never purposely hurt me." I rushed.

"That's exactly what I told myself too, Rae." Jocelyn said, rubbing my hands.

But this was different. Harry and Vince are different. Harry shows emotion for me unlike Vince did. At least from what I saw from Vince. He would listen and hold me, and make me feel better.

"No, they're different. Harry is different." I whispered.

"I spent two years trying to change Vince into something wasn't, Rae. Harry will always be the boy who's killed and been to jail. If anything, he is worse."

"Rae, she has a point. He may listen and care, but it could be an act. He's just waiting." Grace added.

"For what?"

"Vince hit me the night after I first had sex with him. That's all he wanted. Remember how Vince was before me? Girl after girl. Harry was like that too. You can't change him." Jocelyn told me.

"How do you know that? Do you know him?" I questioned.

Jocelyn bit on her lip, looking around, almost like she was trying to find the right words to say. She was holding back something from me. She knew something.

I shook her hand, trying to gain her attention back to me.

"Do you know him?" I asked again.

"Yes."

"How?"

"He was a friend of Vince's. They both worked for Aiden. I met him countless times. Enough to say I know him as much as a friend would. Every night, a different girl. He never had a heart. He was always the first to leave with a girl. He did it without shame. Rae, he doesn't care, there is no heart there. How do think he's able to kill someone? He mimics emotions to pull innocent girls like you in. I should know because I was one of them." Jocelyn's breath increased at her last sentence.

At the moment I wanted to reach out in front of me and choke her for sleeping with him. But the bigger part took in the words he just told me. She knew him well before I did. She witnessed first hand what he was like before me. Was this all an act?

"Come with me." I grabbed Jocelyn's hand pulled her up.

I motioned for Grace to follow but she had to get back to work, which she warned me about before we sat down to eat. She covered the bill, and I gave her a hug and a side kiss on the cheek like we always do before we leave.

I pulled Jocelyn out to my car, and sped down the road. Not bothering to check if it was okay with her to even take her. But she didn't say anything so I continued on driving.

***

"What are we doing here?" Jocelyn asked.

I ignored her question, and brought her through a bunch of doors, and met up with the cop that is usually on duty when I come to visit Harry.

He checked us, an let us in. We were brought to the door before Harry private cell, before the gears started clicking in Jocelyn's head.

"Oh no no, I am not talking to him." She rushed, refusing to come in with me.

"You put all this in my head, and I won't be getting truthful answers if you're not with me." I pleaded.

She thought about it for a moment. She nodded her head with a huff, and followed me in.

When we walked in, Harry was laying on his bed, stomach down, tracing the wall next to him.

"Harry?"

He shot up out of bed at the sound of my voice. His smiled was larger than life. That only made me question if I should've brought the girl behind me.

"Who's the gir- Jocelyn?" Harry asked clearly confused.

"Hey.... Harry." She awkwardly waved.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Been reminiscing on old times with my old best friend." She answer.

"Old times, as in, you were talking about me? Jocelyn, I swear to god if you said anything to-"

"Shut up, Harry!" I shouted.

"Rae, please. Don't listen about the old me. You know I'm different now." Harry pleaded.

"I am not like Vince." Harry continued.

I saw Jocelyn's breath hitch in her throat at the mention of his name. He could be the same, I just don't know who to believe.

"It's all happened to her too, Harry. The pushing, the yelling, the bruising. I don't want to end up how she did!" I cried.

"And you won't. It was just a slip up! I swear it! Rae, you know that wasn't me when I did those things." He pleaded behind the bars.

"And I'm scared I'll see him again. You have to see where I'm coming from. I j-just don't know who to believe." I sobbed.

"Between your best friend and your boyfriend? I think the answer is quite clear. But until you figure out what's going through that shitty messed up head of yours, get the fuck out of my sight." His voice laced with venom.

"Harr-"

"I said get the hell out! I don't want to see your fucking face!" He shouted.

I felt a hand grab my shoulder. I looked through my teary eyes to see Jocelyn staring at me with her sympathy filled eyes. She pulled me into her side, and rushed me out of the room. My tears ran down my face, and staining her beautiful blouse.

Not just three hours ago we were perfect. And here I am, crying. Even if I had doubted him, I had still had faith he wouldn't yell at me, or even insult me. Out of everything I doubted about him, including the yelling, I at least though he would try to prove me different.

------------------

please comment and vote :)