Amelie Leveridge and Severus Snape Chapter 18

Recap:

"So, Amelie, I hear that Snape is your father?" Mr Weasley asked, making me spit my food out.

"What?!...I mean, I supose so..." He raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"He adopted me at the beginning of the year, but he's not my father."

"Really? It's just that you two look so alike..." Wow, that was suprising.

"Oh." Was all I could say, before I excused myself from the table, Hermionie too.

"I didn't know that Snape was your Dad?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"He's my 'adoptive Dad'. Anyway, I didn't think that it was important. It's not like he's my real Dad..."

Hermionie nodded, and we trudged up the stairs to our room. I collapsed onto my bed, falling into a deep sleep.

CHAPTER 18

Sunlight streamed through my eyelids as I slowly awoke. When I'd finally got my bearings I remembered.

It was CHRISTMAS!!

I squealed and grabbed everyones presents. When I ran downstairs there was the most beautiul tree standing in the living room. Silver lights sparkled all over the branches, and an angel stood perfectly on the top. What looked like hundreds of presents lay underneath, and I knelt down and placed mine there too. I noticed there was a present with my name on it. I leant forward to touch it when I heard a cough from behind me. I turned round to see Ron grinning at me, I smiled back, until I realise I was still wearing my pajamas. With one flick of my wand, I was wearing a new, ruby red dress, that came down to my knees, and a pair of black pumps, as well as the necklace that Neville got me.

"What were you doing?" He asked teasingly.

"Nothing..." I grinned at him.

"Happy Christmas Ron!"

"You too Amelie."

"Where are the others?" I asked, suddenly feeling the absence of my friends.

"In the dining room with our...guest."

"Ok!" I said and skipped into the dining room.

"Happy Christma-" I was cut short when I saw Snape sitting in a chair opposite me, sneering.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice cold and uncaring.

"Do I need a reason?" He replied, just as unwarmly. I shrugged and left the room, entering the kitchen.

I was half way through preparing some pancakes for everyone when a familiar cold presence entered the room.

"Good Morning Professor." I said, without turning around. He grunted in response, and sat down at the small kitchen table to read his paper. I brought over a plate of pancakes and set them down in front of him.

"Here you go. Merry Christmas." I said with no emotion in my voice whatsoever. When I went to leave the room with everyone else's pancakes he finally spoke to me.

"Merry Christmas Amelie." I stopped walking. Was that warmth in his voice? I turned to look at him, but he was still reading his paper. That was strange...

"Happy Christmas Everyone!" I shouted as I entered the dining room, and placed down the pancakes.

"Oh Amelie, you shouldn't have!" Mrs Weasly gushed.

"Don't be silly, they're only pancakes!" I grinned, and sat down with my own breakfast. When everyone had finished, we were ushered through into the living room.

"Right, it's time to open presents!!" Mrs Weasley announced, as she passed out a bunch of similarly wrapped presents. Much to my suprise, a present landed in my lap. I looked at her in dibelief, and she gestured for me to open it. I tore open the present to reveal a hand knitted scarf, made of everycolour wool, with my initials on it. I gasped.

"Oh my God! I love it!" Mrs Weasley smiled warmly as the others looked akwardly at me, as if to say 'what?!!'. I placed the scarf neatly on the floor beside me, as Harry, Hermionie, Ron, Fred and George handed out their presents. I ended up with a box of fizzing whizzbees from Ron, a set of extendable ears from Fred and George, a sneakoscope from Harry, and an extendable bag from Hermionie. It was now my turn to hand out presents. As everyone opened their presents, I watched happily as they started grinning. I knew I'd got the right presents. After a round of hugs, it was time for christmas dinner.

We all sat round the huge dining room, as dishes upon dishes of food appeared before us. I was being crushed between Fred and George who had decided that it was their responsibility to look after me all day. We were just about to start when Snape walked through the door, and suprisingly, sat down at the far end of the table.

'I wonder whether he opened his presents...' I thought as I dug into the roast turkey I'd piled onto my plate. As I glanced over to Snape, I noticed a flash of neon pink, and supressed the laugh that was rising in my throat. He was wearing the socks I'd got him!

The rest of the day was spent laughing and playing stupid games with my friends, until I felt it was time to go to bed. It had been one of the best days of my life, and I was stupidly happy. The only thing to dampen the mood was the constant sneering presence of my dear 'father'. I was on my way to my room, when I was grabbed by the arm, and pulled into a seperate room.

"Wha-" I turned round to see Snape. "Oh, it's you." I looked down at his feet.

"I see you opened your present." I said, grinning. His normally cold frown turned into a smirk. Well, that's a start.

"What did you want?" He pulled a small present from under his cloak.

"Here." He said, handing me the parcel.

"Oh..." I carefully unwrapped the present to find a beautiful gold bracelet, covered in glistening charms.

"It's beautiful" I breathed, admiring the delicate bracelet.

"Thank you." I turned to look at Snape. I was completely shocked, I hadn't expected him to get me a present, I could tell how much he hated Christmas.

This time I knew what I was doing, and ran up to him, wrapping my arms round him, the bracelet still clutched in my hand. He didn't tense as much as the last time I tried to hug him, but he didn't exactly hug me back. I didn't care though, because he didn't push me away. I heard him sigh, as I slowly removed my arms from around him, and looked up at his pale face.

"I really love it." His lips twitched, as though trying to smile, before he walked out of the room, leaving me wondering wether he cared about just a little bit more than he let on.