Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - Tension

“... I can’t believe I’m actually doing this...”

Plopping himself down on his bed sheets, Tatsuya risked a nervous glance up at his lord, who was seated lazily upon his own futon. Head leaned back, body lax, and one leg jutting off the edge, Masamune stared down at him with a look of disappointment.

Frowning, Tatsuya decided to hurry along in finishing the last of his makeshift bed. "Are you... absolutely okay with this?" he murmured, creasing his brows as he worked, "I don't... know if I snore or stir or am obnoxious at night... a-and to disturb your sleep would be most-"

"Just go to bed already, Tatsu. If you start annoying me, I'll kick you."

"... Oh." Flushing, the general slid underneath his sheets and stared up at the smooth ceiling. He remembered Yui saying something about how she wanted to have someone make it more exciting... though he couldn't figure out why such a thing would bother her.

Masamune was now wandering about the room, adjusting the shutters and blowing out the small oil lamps positioned at the center of each wall.

“Um... good night?” Tatsuya murmured, letting his gaze follow his lord. As the room gradually began to darken, he suppressed a small sigh, a sort of awkwardness and self-consciousness creeping over him. Even though a few traces of silken moonlight bled through the shutters, he couldn’t help but feel scared. No, it wasn’t that childish fear of monsters... but rather, just the horrendous nightmares of death and dying.

Oh, how much longer would these excuses suffice?

“O-ya-su-mi.” Tatsuya almost jumped at the sound of Masamune’s voice, its yawning and slightly irritated tone jolting him back to his senses. His yawn was soon followed by the rustle of bed sheets, so he guessed it would not be long until he would fall asleep.

Ducking further into his blankets, Tatsuya allowed the two of them to lie amidst the night’s calming silence, relishing in its peace. It would probably be strange if someone found out that two of Aeros’s most prominent leaders were participating in an activity most twenty-year-olds would never consider. They would probably get the wrong idea...

“Say... Masa. Is there... a particular reason as to why you aren’t lying down?” Tatsuya called once his eyes had adjusted to the moonlight. He had noticed that, there seated upon his bed, was the dark silhouette of his lord. From where he lay, it appeared that his head was rested tiredly on his knees and his back propped up against the wall, so it looked like he was relaxing rather than sleeping.

Shifting uncomfortably at his question, Masamune raised his head and scowled. “No. Now go to sleep.” There was a nervous edge to his voice, as though he was embarrassed to have been noticed but was too prideful to admit it. Well, actually, knowing his lord...

“But doesn’t it get... cold? Or like, uncomfortable after a while?" Tatsuya pressed, not quite getting it.

“Go away! I’m tired,” Masamune retorted irritably. He let out a small huff of defiance afterwards, trying to make it very clear that he did not wish to elaborate.

Somehow, this mannerism reminded Tatsuya of his younger brother... but in a good way. He reckoned how some nights he would find himself unable to sleep, so he would poke his head into the adjacent bedroom to find Nobuchika propped up against one of his bedposts, sharp eyes locked wondrously on the moon. Of the three of them, Nobuchika probably had the best view of it from his bedroom window, especially on the nights when it was full and at the peak of its beauty.

“Can’t sleep?” he’d usually ask.

“... Nope.”

“Mind if I join you?”