Chapter 37

Chapter 37 - Onslaught

Alas, the time had come. After a full week of secretive preparation and reorganization, the scattered RAO forces pointed themselves towards Sengoku’s heart, bracing themselves for a battle of a lifetime.

Trusting in the plans created by the RAO heads, Daichi positioned his artillery troops upon the southern corner of the Azuchi-Ignis border, weary eyes scanning his line of gunmen carefully. Some were former peasants, their flintlock pistols and arquebuses standing out against the tatters that were their clothes. He had at least made sure to get them sufficient armor from the Saika reserves, as a pointless waste of life sickened him. Though, some of his mercenary kin were also part of the mix, Magoichi having ‘disbanded’ the group to allow them to pick their own sides freely, so he figured it was alright to make use of such resources.

“... Don’t disappoint me, okay Kita? You’re in charge of the distraction,” the Colonel grunted, eyeing the former doorman carefully. It was almost nice to see the kid in proper military attire, his little cap hardly containing the blond bush that was his hair, for little curls were poking out at the front. To be completely honest, if he didn’t already have a boyfriend that he absolutely adored more than anything, he’d totally flirt with the guy. But of course, they were about to launch a very intense war and hence such trivial matters needed to be ignored until further notice.

Beaming, the young mercenary simply saluted him before wheeling around to bark orders to his select squad, encouraging their moral and reminding them of the dire straits that was their objective. ‘He would make a good leader if given the opportunity, actually...’ Daichi realized with a small smile, fingers lightly brushing the pendant that now dangled around his neck.

He would succeed. Shiyo and Genjiro’s naval force were to strike from the west, intercepting any Herban attempts to back up their Azuchian allies and backing up his own force once they have penetrated the outer districts.

In the south, Shun and Yoshinao’s crew were to lead a direct raid to Azuchi’s prison, their eyes set on freeing their allies and guiding them home to Acqua to recover while the rest forced their way north to Azuchi’s capital. Once word of the prison raid’s success reached the north, RAO’s main force would then descend from Ignis, ultimately surrounding the broad walls that encased Azuchi’s capital and tearing it down to finish the job.

Now, for his role. It was still dark out that morning, as the sound of his force’s gunfire was meant to startle the Azuchian peoples from their sleep and draw the enemy's attention to the west. Their position along the border was also meant to attract Lady Kurora’s attention, as only a fool would allow the enemy to prance about their lands freely. Hence, if they were to screw up in the slightest because Kurora suddenly decided to have some balls in the war... All he could do was hope and pray that the southern forces from the south would expedite the liberation of the prisoners and rush to their aid.

How very unlike him. Sighing deeply, the Colonel paused to feel the cool Ignis winds tickle at his exposed cheeks, the sharp scent of soot and sulfur causing his nose to twitch. For a veteran marksman such as himself, the scent was all too familiar. Although, as it was the result of a more natural occurrence, he figured success wasn’t the only thing he should be praying for.

“Kita, it’s time!”

Nodding slowly, the young captain turned and signaled his men forward with a flick of his rifle’s bayonet, his grip tightening on the reigns of his horse as the time for action arrived. Then, cautiously, the troops spread out into a legion-formation and set off, their movements surprisingly matched and in rhythm despite the fact that most were naive to the operations of professional warfare.