Chapter 27: Too Long in the Shadows

The Salvatore brothers, Elena and Bella didn't have to wait long after the phone call that Bella made to Elijah, the front door to Elena's house was kicked in as a slightly worried but fully angered Elijah stepped over the threshold and embraced that shaking Bella that was sitting upon the stairs heading up towards Elena's bedroom.

"My love," Elijah whispered as he kissed Bella's forehead. "How was this ever possible?"

"That's what we like to know." Klaus's voice called out, making everyone turn to see the rest of the Mikaelson clan along with Caroline, Mandy, Jacob and Angela on the front porch. "Mind inviting us in, Miss Gilbert?"

"Huh-What... Oh!" Elena muttered, earning a slight giggle from everyone. "Um, come in?"

Stefan inwardly snarled as Klaus stepped over the threshold and watched as the Hybrid also walked over to Bella to see whatever he could to help.

"Salvatore's; mind explaining exactly how it was possible for Frederick to be here, in Mystic Falls without our knowledge?" Klaus asked, glaring at both Stefan and Damon. "Well?"

"He came here about three days ago looking for something or someone," Elena spoke up, making all pair of eyes landing on her. "He was at the Grill and followed me home thinking I was Tatia."

"And what I don't get is how it was possible for me to throw him about ten feet away that night but it was so easy for that Cold One to defeat Stefan." Damon added, earning a slight nod of agreement from Elena. "Stefan, care to explain how that was possible?"

Stefan's eyes widen as he was now in the spotlight, what could he do? Tell the truth about how he let Frederick walk out the door with the keys to one of Damon's cars? He wasn't that stupid.

"Those dungeons were made to keep our breed of vampire intact not a Cold One; I think he was waiting for the right moment for him to make his escape." Stefan explained. "He probably thought no one was home and when he seen me, well you know the rest."

"Hm," Mikael muttered, earning the spotlight from Stefan. "If what you say is true, Salvatore; then we got a lot more trouble than planned."

"Whatever do you mean, Mr Mikaelson?" Elena replied, not sure if she could call him by his first name or just stick to the safe formalities, so she decided to go with the safest.

"From what the Spirits have told me from the other side; Frederick is looking for a cure to end the Cold One's curse." Mikael explained, earning some mouth drops and confused looks. "He is looking to turn himself and his children into Original vampires."

"So basically, if you kill the first ever Cold One, the descendants will perish?" Bella asked, sounding slightly hopeful and scared.

"Exactly."

"But does all Cold Ones deserve to die though?" Caroline asked, taking the empty space between Bella and Elena. "I mean, we've met the Cullens and from what I know of them from Bella's point of view and meeting them myself, they don't really deserve to perish... Though Edward and that pixie do."

"You mean, Alice?"

"Alice, pixie... Whatever you want to call her," Caroline replied back to Bella, earning a smile from the brunette human in return. "Still, agreeing with Kol; because of the way Alice looks, they do represent a breed of vampires that has a pixie for a mother and vampire for a father."

Bella cupped her hands over her from laughing to loud, Stefan arched an eyebrow as he stared at Caroline, he knew Caroline was judgemental due to the fact of herself being a vampire but he never thought she would become like this; that is another reason why he wanted to get rid of Klaus; so they could have the old Caroline back.