Chapter 30: Love in a Hopeless Place

Mystic Falls, Virginia

Isabella Swan knew that it was against her upbringing and her beliefs to judge a person, but the eldest Salvatore brother, Damon was making it very hard for the reincarnated Petrova girl to see the good in him that apparently everyone had slacked off in.

Twice she had blown up in his face and she wasn't heading for a third.

They both made a deal that he would not try to make her angry again and she will not try to stake him with the closet wooden object.

When Damon was sarcastic to her- she returned the sarcasm- when he was witty and cunning in his ways she returned the same favor.

Damon was like the older brother Bella always wanted and secretly to Damon, she was like the sister he always wanted but sadly never got.

Stefan was having the time of his life watching how the brunette haired, chocolate doe eyed girl could under Damon's skin and he did not react in anyway, he was slightly surprised how he felt guilty about letting the rouge Cold One, Frederick go- but he had to keep Elena safe.

He needs to keep Elena safe, away from the Mikaelsons and Damon as far as possible; even if it meant giving up the life of one little, reincarnated human to do so.

He will do anything, even if it meant betraying and walking all over those closest to him and that consider him a friend and brother.

Damon on the other hand, wants to keep Elena safe- but he's slowly very slowly letting Elena talk her plans through before jumping into action; and that surprised everyone- thanks to Bella Swan.

"Come on, Bambi!" Damon muttered, as Bella looked over the menu once more. "Some people are starving here!"

"I'm sorry…" Bella looked up as she nodded to indicate she was ready to order her meal. "Bambi?"

"It was the only nickname that I could come up with and that suited you." Damon replied, shrugging and took the menu off her and skimmed over it. "Aww come on, it actually suits you."

"Call the media!" Bella shouted, making some of the restaurant customers look at her weirdly. "Damon Salvatore brain has actually worked for once!"

Damon grumbled in annoyance when the party that travelled with laughed; he then felt out of place as he seen the loved up couples within the Grill huddle into each other.

"Aww, don't worry Blue eyes." Bella replied toughing Damon's hand lightly. "we all knew it would work one day."

"Blue eyes?"

"Would you rather Beauty?" Bella asked sweetly, blinking her twice and smiled at him. "Or better yet… Beast?"

When a moment or two of silence went by, Bella smirked as she folded her arms. "Thought so."

She then watched as Damon took another look around and felt so out of place, he forgotten that it was couples night- so every engaged, married or loved up couple within Mystic Falls and the next town over filled up the already crowded restaurant, they were lucky to get seats even without compelling a few people.

Thinking that he was the third wheel in most couple outings, mainly Stefan and Elena's, he decided to go out and was followed by Bella.

"Damon…" Bella asked, as her hand gently fell onto his shoulder.

"Leave me alone."

"You know I can't do that…" Bella sighed, making Damon face her.

"If you're here to tell me that Elena will never fall in love with me, save it- I heard it all before from everyone including Elena."