Chapter 1: Cry

• Dedicated to Kay-lee Shah

Mystic Falls, Virginia

12:53pm

An emotionless man stood staring transfixed into the dying flames of the fire before him, he twirl a glass of scotch in one hand; while the other was occupied by holding a black and white sketch of a girl no older then seventeen or eighteen.

He glanced once again at the drawing of the girl; taking in her big, doe-like eyes, pulp-looking lips and the long, dark locks of hair that shaped her heart-shaped innocent looking face. He sighed once; downing the rest of the scotch before throwing the glass into the flames and watch as they licked up the last drops of the alcohol he had been drinking.

The sound of expensive heels clicking against the pavement leading to the front door of the house that he shared with his family, indicating that he will no longer be alone in the house. He sighed again; as the front door opened and the scent of his sister's perfume hit him like a ton of bricks.

He did not turn to greet his sister, as she pause to see him standing beside the sitting room's fireplace, back facing her.

"Elijah?" She asked, earning her brother to face her then. "Whatever are you doing at this godly hour of the night?"

"Shouldn't I ask you the same thing, Rebekah?" Elijah replied, cocking up an eyebrow. "I take it your stalking of the elder Salvatore brother did not go as planned?"

"No, it did..." Rebekah replied, sitting down across from her brother. "Then the human doppelganger showed up..."

"Elena?" Elijah asked eyebrows rose again. "Elena Gilbert?"

"Yes, her...." Rebekah mumbled bitterly; folding her arms and looked back at Elijah. "Now explain to me what you are doing at this hour?"

Elijah turned back the dying flames, thinking about throwing the last sketch he had of his first beloved human girl into the flames; before he could even think or blink the drawing was snatched out of his hands.

"Is this..." Rebekah gasped, holding the drawing out towards him.

"Yes, it is..." Elijah replied, eyes pleaded for her to burn it; but Rebekah made no motion to do such thing. "May I have it back?"

"You had a drawing of her, all this time?"

"Yes, I was about to burn it."

"Burn it?" Rebekah replied, anger rising in her tone. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"The memory of her hurts too much!" Elijah yelled, banging his fist on the fireplace frame; making little chunks of wood fall onto the wooden floor. "It just hurts too much...."

"You think you're the only one that had lost her?" Rebekah hissed, folding the drawing and placed it in her jacket pocket. "Isabel Petrova was a part of our family, even if she did not think she had deserved a place in it! Klaus, Finn, Kol and I had lost a sister and best friend! Mother had lost another daughter! And do not forget about the original doppelganger, Tatiana; she had lost her only living family member apart from her daughter!"

Elijah was about to reply; but then seen their mother; Esther behind them, tears threatened to falls from her eyes.

"Mother..." Elijah mumbled, as Rebekah got to her feet again; turning to greet Esther. "Shouldn't you be resting?"

"How can I rest when two of my own children are throwing themselves at each other's throats?"

Rebekah and Elijah both looked to the floor in shame; knowing that their mother was right, Esther sighed and moved into the sitting room.