Resorting

Harry's POV
I feel the hot tears rush down my face as I whip my head up at his words. He actually just said that.
"Goodnight Malfoy." I say laying down and turning away from him.

Draco's POV

I realize it wasn't the smartest choice of words but am still surprised at the coolness in his voice and the use of my last name. The last time he used that voice we were about to battle.

In pure shock I say a goodnight and fall asleep.

It is seven in the morning and I woke Potter so that we could get ready. In an hour we are expected to be prepared to be resorted. I have no doubt they would make an exception for "The Boy Who Lived" but the one who switched from the dark side last moment...not so much.

With this thought in mind I quickly dress and fix my hair. I begin to make my way towards the Great Hall from the dungeons. I left Potter after waking him so I could get ready back in my room where all of my things were.

I manage to get there in time to see about 50 other students. I recognize a few Slytherin's and a couple others but most of them I have never talked to. I join the queue of students waiting for resortment and stand silently.

"Hello, Draco." I hear the voice of my one true friend as I look up.
"Hey, Pansy. I didn't think you'd be resorted." I say with a smile.
"I wasn't planning on it until I realized I am of age and don't have to worry about my parents...disappointment."  She looked at me sadly before her usual smile returned. "Anyway, where were you? I couldn't find you on the train and you never showed in the common room." she asked looking at me quizzically.
"Um. Potter and his friends sat in my compartment. He ended up getting hurt and I brought him to the infirmary. I stayed to make sure he was fine." I said before adding, "ya know, wouldn't wanna lose the chance to make fun of him already." She smiled knowingly and rolled her eyes.
"Of course Potter was the one who distracted you."
My face heated slightly and I couldn't come up with a proper retort so I settled for, "Shut it."

Harry's POV

I push the doors to the Great Hall open and silence falls throughout the, usually, loud room. My face heats slightly and I quickly go to the end of the long line.

It is only a few seconds before the chatter starts up again and Neville walks over to me.
"Hello. That happened when I came in too, so don't feel too embarrassed." he said with an anxious smile, as all eyes were still on us. I nod slightly.
"I see you took my advice. Getting resorted, are you?" he nods and smiles his normal smile. 

We continue with our small talk as we wait for the line to move. At some point Hermione, Ron, Seamus,  and Dean join us. I begin to zone out as everyone else simply talks about their summers. Suddenly the whole Great Hall silences as Draco Malfoy sets the hat on his head. Stunned looks are shared from friends as they watch the Slytherin Prince be sorted into, "RAVENCLAW!" A couple young Ravenclaw girls share frightened looks as they remember the stories they have heard in the past. One looks as if she might burst into tears and I send her a soft smile. At that she squeals and turns to make sure her friends saw. 

The conversations start up and nobody pays attention to Pansy Parkinson being sorted into Ravenclaw. Within a few minutes it is Dean's turn. The hat barely touches his head before screeching, "GRYFFINDOR." Seamus was next and shock took over the Great Hall as the hat said, "HUFFLEPUFF." He stepped down looking dazed and upset. His relationship with Dean went public over summer and now they were in separate houses. 

Ron stepped up now shooting Hermione a nervous look, which she barely acknowledged other than with a wave of her hand to tell him to go on. "GRYFFINDOR!" Hermione was next. "RAVENCLAW!" She shrugged her shoulders and Ron looked angered. I tried not to laugh as Neville stepped up, "HUFFLEPUFF!" He looked at me happily and stepped down looking at Seamus. Next was my turn and I began to become nervous. 

I dropped the hat on my head and I heard the whisper from first year. "Ah. Hello Gryffindor. Did the house treat you well?" I ignored it and began chanting, "not Gryffindor," over and over.  "Oh. You always have a house you don't want. However if you insist I must go with RAVENCLAW!" I sighed in relief. I was certain I was to become a Slytherin, and I had no problem with that except that they all hated my guts.

 I joined Hermione, Seamus, and Neville as we went to the Gryffindor common room for our final time. Dean and Ron came but it wasn't the same for them. Hermione went to the girls dorm and we went to the guys. I grabbed my things and stared at my four poster bed I'd been using for seven years now. 

After Dean and Seamus kissed for a long time we finally left Dean behind to be upset as we went down the stairs to meet Hermione. She took a bit longer before joining us and kissing Ron on the cheek and turning to me. "Are we ready to go?" Ron seemed stunned at his girlfriend's lack of affection and I was about to laugh. I nodded my head to avoid the laughter seeing as I planned to keep both of my friends.  

We walked Neville and Seamus to the Hufflepuff common room and bid them fair well heading on our way. Hermione immediately jumped into questions, "Where were you last night?" I explained I fell and she nodded moving on, "Are you alright? You have been acting weird constantly. Ron has been so clingy I haven't been able to talk to you alone to make sure." 

"I am fine." The rest of the time we walked in silence.

Okey Dokey that is all for now. Sorry it has been so long. I have had problems deciding how I was going to word everything in this. I am sorry everything I write is so short compared to others writing. It takes me so long to type these because I want to make sure I don't screw something up. Idk, I am very sorry again. I hope you like this update. Much love. ~Love Alyssa