Chapter 4

My mate appeared to be quite frightened of my black wolf. He kept trying to take a step back every time she inched closer out of curiosity. His soft green eyes flickered around, looking for someone, anyone to assist him. He knew he couldn't take my wolf on alone, but she wasn't challenging him in the slightest. In fact, she was quite upset that he hadn't dropped to his knees and thrown his arms around her already.

At least I could see the mating bond in his eyes, he wanted to touch me; he was just terrified of me and my overbearing wolf. He too was highly aware that anyone in wolf form was highly unpredictable and considerably dangerous.

So I forced my wolf to stop pursuing him. She hated the idea of it; all she wanted was to investigate this man, to start to figure him out immediately. She and I had been waiting from him for so long it was hard to control us both. But she complied a little bit and sat down on the rough gravel with her tongue slipping out of her mouth in a childish manner.

My mate nearly took another step back, but stopped himself like he understood we were trying to make him feel more comfortable. His large hand extended towards me instead and I could see just how shaky it was. Yet he placed it gently on the side of my face, hardly touching the tips of my fur.

That was more than enough for me though. My wolf closed her eyes and let out a content sigh as soft, pleasant feeling wafted through her veins in her system. All of the stress, panic, and strain from moments before simply evaporated away. He was the reason she came her. This wary man with bright green eyes and a gentle hand was the reason that my wolf and I had dashed across miles of land. But there was nothing to regret.

"There she is!" A warrior screamed from behind me.

That soft, cozy feeling that my mate had created dissolved within seconds and my wold was back on her feet, crouched low and snarling. The kind wolf I had been with my mate was gone and the alpha in me returned.

About six wolves were racing towards me with three humans further behind and presumably more wolves coming even further in the distance. My rash acts had certainly stirred this calm werewolf community and now it was time to face the consequences. I knew I couldn't take them all, they were far larger than I and there was so many of them, but I wasn't going to go down without a fight. Especially since I had finally found what I was looking for.

Still, I had a very hard time remaining aggressive and alert when my mate's hands slowly moved over my hackles, smoothing them down. I wanted to be threatening, to protect myself, but his calm and steady touch was far too distracting. I could feel that he wasn't too concerned about his pack mates racing towards us.

Still, if my own pack was dashing to me I wouldn't be too concerned either. I was their luna and no harm was ever to come to me. He must've known that his pack would never hurt their own alpha and I was just being paranoid. Besides, he would never let any harm come to me.

The warriors were a few feet away in a matter of seconds and they wasted no time. I was not to get away this time. That much was clear.

"Shift!" A human demanded stiffly. A shirt was thrown at my feet and seconds later the man was screaming again, "Shift now or we will have no choice but to take your actions as a threat to our community!" I knew he wasn't lying. With every passing second all of the men edged closer, ready to throw me to the ground or beat me to a pulp.

It didn't take much force to overpower my wolf now, thankfully. She had gotten what she wanted and I prayed there would be no more outbursts from her today. When I was fully in human form I quickly pulled the tee shirt over my head. My mate might've been here, but so were all his pack mates and my body was not for them to see. I was still the same proud, stubborn luna.

The men around me couldn't have cared less about my body, they were all jittering, wanting to know why I was here and attempting to watch for my next move. Two different men grabbed each of my arms and with a hard jerk I was yanked forward. I looked at my mate, startled by their actions and I was about to confront him about their rude behavior, but my eyes ended up roaming his body and my mouth became glued shut.

I grew up knowing mates were supposed to be everything for each other, but feeling it for the first time was incredible and so powerful it was almost scary. I had never felt anything this disarming, this weakening and while I wanted to shake it, I also loved it.

He was perfect. Absolutely perfect. He was tall, over six feet with broad shoulders and a sturdy frame, but he wasn't bulky like other alphas. He was lean, bordering skinny with thick chestnut brown hair and those vibrant green eyes. Pale pink scars were webbed over his skin in a few areas, bite and claw marks showing he was an alpha who had won many fights and battled in many wars. He was fearless and strong. All signs of a wonderful leader that every pack needed.

And he was mine.

I forced myself to look away from him, trying not to appear love sick. I had seen mates fall in love and meet for the first time and I remember being disgusted and annoyed by their lack of self-control. That would not be me. Especially outside of my own territory. I was still a proud and dignified alpha so I guided my attention else where.

The women and children that I had scared into their homes were now looking out at me with shock and fear as we passed. Some women were watching their mates and husbands as we passed and I could hear several kids choking back sobs of terror. No one was brave enough to even step over their threshold and I felt guilt knot in my stomach. I hadn't meant to frighten people or even cause a stressful situation. I merely wanted what was mine.

"Well, there she is." A deep, masculine voice boomed. The words didn't send chills down my spine, they weren't from my mate.

A wave of strength hit me and my brain spun in confusion as the two men turned me around to face the speaker.

He was hulking, likely six and a half feet tall with massive muscles. His hair was cut short and his small eyes were frequently moving around, scanning for danger despite the fact that I was already subdued. His chin was ticked up a notch, keeping his head above everyone else's and his stance was cocky in itself.

"Alpha Vienna, when I heard that there an intruder in my territory I didn't expect it to be you." He said softly and at the mention of me being an alpha my arms were released by the men.

"My apologies." I said stiffly as my brain began to stutter out of control. The man before me was the alpha. I could feel the strength coming off of him in waves. And his own pack members were basically gawking at him in loving admiration. He could be no one else but the leader of these men.

And the man next to me, my mate, he had no force like this. Not even a subtle draft of any pack status. He didn't smell like a beta, didn't feel like a warrior. Nothing. My mate held such low status he wasn't even used to fight off other wolves.

My mate was hardly any better than a rogue. He was an omega.