Chapter 13

"Not sex or anything." I blurted, mortified with the way my words sounded.

Grant simply chuckled at my panic, "I kind of figured you wouldn't be so forward or casual about seducing me."

"So what do you say?" I encouraged, hoping like hell I hadn't put myself out on the line again. The first rejection had been crippling enough, I'm not sure I was ready for a second round.

Grant's slight smile faltered and he glanced downward, suddenly uncertain of himself. It was like he reverted back into his old ways in seconds and I was horrified that I had gone too far. We had worked so hard to get to where we are and losing it all would be devastating.

"That's a big step Vienna." He murmured.

"It's just one night. You can be as far away from me on that bed as you want, I don't care, honest. My wolf is just restless and I don't think I'll be able to sleep without you beside me."

"Vienna..." he sighed.

"Grant, please, just one night. If it's terrible I won't make you do it again."

"Fine, but just this once, Vienna." He said stiffly.

I wanted to argue, but I decided that this victory was enough for now. Hopefully, he would end up being comfortable enough to sleep with me all the time, but this would do for now. I ended up just nodding then walking upstairs with my wary mate in tow.

"This is my bedroom." I said awkwardly as I pushed open the door.

I could tell by his face that he was immediately astonished. I was by no means the richest alpha in the world. Hell, I wasn't even the richest in the state, but all alphas and their families lived lavishly. Big houses, grand rooms, and amazing technology were all I had ever known. The same could not be said for an omega like Grant.

He took everything in, his eyes flickering around the bedroom, examining the bed, then the white arm chair and my desk, and my walk in closet. It must've been quite a sight for him. I had no doubt that his entire house back home was probably smaller than my room.

"The door by my closet leads to a bathroom if you want to go and take a shower before bed." I said, trying to break the awkward silence. I knew he wasn't doing it on purpose but the way that he looked around my living quarters made me feel ungrateful and ashamed.

"Oh, okay, that sounds good." He mumbled. He shuffled into the bathroom and locked the door behind him.

Once I heard the shower running my brain started to work again and I pulled myself out of my daze. I wandered over my closet and suddenly became stumped on what to wear to bed. I normally wore a ratty tee shirt or tank top to bed with a pair of comfy underwear. It wasn't exactly a cute look, and it showed a lot of skin in the least sexy way. I didn't want him to feel like I was trying to seduce him, so I reached for my pajama set that had full length pants and a button up long sleeved shirt, but then I stopped short again. I didn't want him to feel pressured, but that didn't mean I had to shut down the idea of having sex entirely by looking like a grandma. This would be the first time we were this close together and maybe he would have a slip up in self control. Trying to find a delicate balance of decent and subtly sexy I settled for a silky tank top and matching shorts.

When I heard the shower turn off I climbed into bed and picked up a book. I wasn't really reading, I was far too excited for that but I was desperately trying to look inconspicuous. I didn't want Grant to feel pressured and flee at the last second.

But when he came out of the bathroom I nearly fainted.

He was wearing nothing but boxers and I swear I felt my heart stop when he looked at me with those green eyes. The last time I had seen him in such little clothing he was near death and sex was the last thing on my mind, but now it was all I could think about. I wanted him so badly that my hands could no longer hold the book steady and I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

He wasn't rippling with muscles like most werewolves. He didn't have the six pack most girls dream of but I felt like I was drooling over his lean body none the less. I wanted nothing more than to run my fingers through his dark hair and pull those lips against mine as our bodies grinded together.

"Does it matter which side of the bed I sleep on?" Grant asked, yanking me out of my fantasy.

"Oh." I blurted, "Oh, no it doesn't matter at all." I hated how breathy my voice sounded and I hated the wetness that had already formed between my legs.

"Okay." Grant mumbled. He strolled to the nearest section of the bed and sat down, seeming hesitant to crawl under the covers beside me.

My brain spun in circles, desperate to find a solution to make him more comfortable but only one solution came to mind. "Do you want a back rub?" I offered as I tossed my book aside.

"No, it's alright." Grant said, suddenly tensing up.

"Come on," I encouraged, already scooting so I was directly behind him, "it'll help you relax so you can get to sleep easier."

Grant opened his mouth to protest like I assumed he would but I simply grabbed his shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze anyway. I was immediately rewarded with a sigh and the slight drop of his head. I could feel just how tense his muscles were beneath my fingers so I carefully began to move down his back, pushing against his muscles gently. I knew if I pushed too hard and caused him pain it could lead to him wanting the whole thing to stop. I probably massaged every muscle on his back before I placed my hands back on his shoulders and gently guided his head down to the pillow beside mine.

"It's late." I hinted.

Grant nodded sleepily and pulled the blankets over him. My wolf howled with happiness, knowing for certain that her mate was going to be sleeping beside us.

I knew I shouldn't push my mate, he had hardly wanted to spend the night in my bedroom but I couldn't help myself. I let my head rest softly on his chest and when he stirred a tiny bit at the new pressure I began faintly dragging my nails against his skin, causing goosebumps to rise and a little moan to leak from his lips.