Chapter 7

Two weeks had passed since Grant's arrival and for those two weeks Greg's words sat heavily on my chest. The unfortunate part is that Grant kept proving him right, over and over again. I was different from other alphas and this pack was different from the hundreds of others across the globe. And I would be damned if my own mate was plain and boring and what I had been wishing for all along. There was no way the Moon Goddess would allow that.

But Grant was something I never thought would happen to me. Hell, I didn't even think that a man like him could exist in my world and I was equally frustrated as I was astonished.

At first, everything was normal. Or as normal as it could be with a mate like him: an omega that literally didn't utter a word. I fed him every morning and every night, making something that would be easy for him to eat and something that his body was craving. I made sure that he drank lots of water and he had tea and coffee whenever he wanted it. Though his wolf and his human were weak and spindly, I made sure they left the house once a day to go for walks. He slept the majority of the days away in the guest bedroom and I made sure that all of my pack members aside from Greg and Karma stayed away.

But Grant stayed far away from me too.

As much as I was confused and angry about the Moon Goddess' choice I also couldn't fight the pull. Every time I saw him my heart would flutter and he would casually ignore me. When I tried to talk to him it's like he also went deaf and didn't hear a word that left my lips. If I reached out to touch him he would bluntly shuffle away from me. After only a few days I began to think that I was the only one feeling the bond and maybe he truly wasn't my mate.

I thought that it was incredibly frustrating and hurtful to be ignored, but the emotions were multiplied when I came down the stairs one morning and I heard a low and rough masculine voice singing along to a tacky pop song. At first I thought it was Greg singing, I knew he didn't have much for vocals and it only made sense. But then I felt the chills down my spine as the man continued to sing and I knew that I had been lied to.

"You can talk?!" I screamed, stomping down the hardwood stairs.

Grant whirled around so quickly that the glass of water he had been holding spilled all over the floor and his green eyes were wide with horror.

I didn't blame him for being scared now. I might've been in pajama shorts and a baggy tee shirt with wild hair, but I was still an alpha. Maybe not his yet, but I knew my brown eyes were beyond pissed and my body moved with a terrifying grace until I was directly in front of him.

"I heard you singing, I know you can talk." I barked in his face.

"Vienna-" he began.

"Alpha Vienna!" I shrieked, "I'm the alpha here, you omega! And for weeks I've been trying to make my house your home and take care of you and you don't even have the decency to tell me, your own mate, that you can actually talk? Do you know how much easier this all could've been if you just talked to me and told me what hurt or that you needed to see the pack doctor or where you got all these scars from?"

I ran my hands through my thick black hair in frustration. Maybe I should've been happy, thrilled even. Now I could actually talk to my mate, listen to him tell me all the things I wanted to hear. But I had spent the majority of my time away from my pack, ignoring pack business so that I could take care of him and he couldn't even utter a simple thank you.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." He whispered quietly and I could hear the hoarseness in his voice. He lowered his head in a slight act of submission.

His vocal cords weren't used much, that much was evident and after he spoke he took a swig of water to calm down the scratchiness. As I watched this I immediately felt bad and the residual fear in his expression only made the guilt stronger. I hadn't meant to frighten him; I had merely gotten over excited. Now I felt like an absolute fool.

"I didn't mean to scare you." I murmured, my voice coming out tenderly. "I guess I just accepted that you weren't ever going to talk to me and hearing you say something got me so excited that I couldn't control myself."

Grant gave me a tiny smile. It was the first smile I had ever seen from him and it made my heart flutter in my chest. I'm fairly certain that if I were ever to receive a full blown smile I would simply faint.

"It's alright. I guess after you being so kind to me I should've told you." The harshness of his voice made me cringe, I wanted him to be quiet and rest his vocal cords but he continued to talk anyway. "I just didn't know how or when to tell you. I mean, my pack is also pretty certain that I can't speak at all and they already told you that. I kind of figured you would be mad too."

"I'm so sorry. I got ahead of myself, I usually do that." I soothed. "I guess you didn't talk much in your old pack if that's the case."

Grant gave out a little sad sigh, "Sometimes it's just easier not to talk."

My heart clenched in my chest and in that moment, we didn't have to talk. I just closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around my mate's neck and held him. I tried not to think about all of the horrible things that could've happened to him because of his old pack; I just wanted to chase all of the hurt away.

And surprisingly, Grant didn't pull away this time. He just slid his thin arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him as he pressed his face against the soft skin of my neck.

I thought I could stay in that moment forever, but then, it was like a switch went off in his brain and he pulled away from me. Those beautiful green eyes of his showed me a barrier had gone up and all the stiffness returned to his muscles.

That delicate moment of vulnerability and sweetness was broken and I felt my heart crush slightly as my mate turned his back to me and walked away without glancing back at me.

The Moon Goddess was trying to kill me. I was sure of it.

~0