Chapter 24

"Our house is such a mess, I'm so sorry." Grant's mother whispered, scrubbing at some dishes in the sink.

"I'm not concerned about that." I said stiffly. I would've been nicer on any other day, but today was simply too much for me. I needed answers now.

"Anything, Alpha." His father replied, his eyes wide with fear.

Part of me wanted to comfort them, but my wolf was far more concerned with finding her beloved mate. After figuring out just who alpha Jordan was she was in some sort of a frenzy and I knew that she would stop at nothing to find out the truth.

"Are you Grant's parents?" I demanded,

"Yes." His mother murmured.

"You gave birth to him?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows.

She suddenly looked embarrassed, dropping her eyes to the floor as she often did, "No, Alpha, we adopted him."

I sighed, rubbing my face with an open palm. There was such a slim chance that my mate was the lost part of the royal family, but Grant being adopted opened up the door for more possibilities.

"You adopted him? Like from an agency? I thought only humans did that." I said, wandering towards the kitchen table.

Grant's mother took that as initiative to go and fill the kettle with water for tea and I didn't complain. I figured that this was going to be a long talk, filled with surprises.

"It wasn't through an agency, and definitely not a human agency. We could not risk having a human boy in a pack of werewolves." Grant's dad protested.

I nodded, "So how were you able to adopt him if it wasn't through an agency then?"

"Alpha Jordan found him in the middle of the night and we were the only couple that was unable to have kids, at least, that's what we were told." Grant's dad explained.

"He just found a child in the middle of the night and dropped it off at your house?" I demanded, "That's very peculiar."

"Well, that's what he told us." Grant's father said defensively. "What were we supposed to believe?"

I held up my hands in surrender, not wanting to start an altercation. "I just want to know what happened." I said, softening my voice.

"It's a family matter!" Grant's father barked. "You have no right to barge into my home like this and demand answers to questions that have nothing to do with you!"

"Octavious!" Grant's mother shrieked in horror. Her hands trembled as she set the tea pot and cups on the kitchen table. "That is no way to talk to an alpha." She chided, trying to calm her mate down while still looking polite, "He means no disrespect, Alpha."

"I understand, this is a very stressful time for both of you. I didn't expect you to be this cheery since your son is missing anyway."

"Grant's missing?" His mother gasped, placing a hand over her heart.

"Oh god," I whispered, "I thought your pack member would've told you by now. I'm so sorry."

After my big announcement it took me several minutes to calm down Grant's parents. His mother immediately started to cry and her mate became furious with me, blaming me for his son's disappearance. I tried not to be offended by his accusations. If I had been born an omega and had been ruled over by a cruel alpha and my son suddenly went missing after being mated to another alpha I would assume his mate had been a monster as well. But I told him it hadn't been me and after a few minutes of convincing he seemed to believe me. Grant's mother was still incredibly distressed that her baby was missing but I had questions I still needed answers to.

"So can you tell me everything you know about Grant's childhood?" I asked.

Grant's mom just shrugged her shaking shoulders, "We know very little about his life before us. When he came to us he was only two or three, he couldn't remember anything before us."

"Did Jordan tell you anything? Surely he had to know something about the boy he found."

"Well, he said that Grant's pack was attacked by rouges and that he was only able to save Grant. The whole pack thought it was a very noble thing for our alpha to do and we were very honored that he selected us to be the parents of this boy."

"So you were given Grant about eighteen years ago?"

"Yes."

I pondered this for a while as I sipped my tea, then nodded, "Well can you tell me anything about his early years with you?"

Grant's father spoke up finally, "He wasn't born to be an omega. He was born of a higher ranking, he didn't listen to anyone very well, but he was taught early enough that he had to listen or he would be punished."

I tried not to shudder at the thought of my mate being young and sweet and being punished simply because he was forced to lower his ranking. "Was Alpha Jordan always this brutal with everyone?"

"No." Grant's father murmured, "He wasn't so awful before. The pack was run peacefully and easily, his father was a gentle leader and he had been as well, until he had found Grant. Everyone in the pack assumed that seeing a full pack slaughtered before his eyes damaged him emotionally. He hasn't been the same since that night."

I gave out a little sigh and rubbed my hands over my bare face. "I'm sorry he had to be your alpha, honestly. My pack is run much differently than your own and it's a shame you had to endure his rule. Even if he was emotionally traumatized he had no right to take it out on you."

Grant's mother gave me a timid smile, "I'm glad that some omegas are treated differently." She whispered, "No one deserves to be the scum of the pack and if I knew the agony that Grant would be subjected to I would've never took him in, I would've wanted him to have a higher ranking family."

,{PO}o"

Any ideas on what's going to happen next?