Chapter 9

"Your love life is more interesting than I anticipated." Greg said with a soft laugh as he sipped his morning coffee.

I rolled my eyes as I scrubbed the dishes in the sink, beyond furious with my beta's comment. But I wasn't about to take my frustration out on him because my anger wasn't actually towards him. All the fury I was feeling was for no one other than Grant.

"You went into heat and he didn't even mate with you. Hell, he didn't even mark you." Greg chuckled, "When my mate went into heat I lost my mind. I mated with her so many times that night that I couldn't come to work the next day, don't you remember?"

"Yeah." I replied, now drying the plate. And I did remember that day, quite accurately actually. I hadn't been mad that my right hand man hadn't shown up, just a little surprised. Greg was very punctual, always had been and it was one of the traits I loved about him. When he called me that morning to tell me he couldn't come into work that day I was more in awe than I was mad. Some wolf had taken the serious, driven, Greg that I had come to love and she had made him sound love sick over the phone.

After that all I wanted was a mate of my own. I figured they would soften my edges, hold me when I got upset, and rule my pack by my side like any good leader would. But all my mate was doing was making me nauseous and raising my hackles.

"I don't understand how he could've just walked away from you when you were going through your heat. Either his wolf isn't very strong or his human is too damn powerful." Greg continued.

"I don't know what's going on with him. He doesn't even talk to me. I know that he might've been through a lot and that this takes time but this has been going on for too long." I sighed, finally turning around to look at Greg. "The pack wants to know who he is, my wolf is getting restless, and if we don't mate soon other alphas are going to take it as a sign of weakness and think about starting wars."

"You let me worry about the other packs for the moment and you know our pack is very curious, but also very respectful of you and your boundaries, they can wait." Greg's eyes locked with mine, "You keep your mind focused on your mate and I'm sure everything else will fall into place."

I snorted at his words but didn't retort otherwise. Greg had such a wonderful mate and their bond came quickly as well as naturally. He didn't have to worry about running a pack, or having disappointed parents, or other packs sensing weakness. How was I supposed to deal with all of this and still stay on top of my distant mate? And did he honestly think that if I neglected all of my responsibilities everything would just magically put itself together?

Either way, it didn't matter; I was settling this mate crap today.

It wasn't hard to find Grant, he was in the first place I checked: his bedroom. I had never been particularly concerned with his bedroom before, it was just a plain guest room that he had been occupying but now that I was there, in it with him I realized I should've applied more effort and consideration to his placement.

He was sitting on the bed, his nose buried in a book and in his faded clothing he was still the most vibrant thing in the room. Everything else was stark white and plain, like a hospital. Honestly, it looked like a clean prison cell and guilt suddenly flooded into my body. Still, the feelings were shoved aside immediately. This room wasn't designed for my mate; it was intended for visitors who needed somewhere to crash for one night, for people whose only other option would be to sleep outside. My mate was supposed to be sleeping with me, holding me through the night and waking me up with soft kisses.

"We need to talk." I stated, folding my lean arms over my chest.

"I suppose we do." Grant answered, lowering his book to his lap. His voice was still rough but not nearly as bad as it had been the first time I had heard him talk.

"Do you want to reject me?" I asked. My voice came out surprisingly solid considering I wanted to throw up as I spoke.

"No, of course not." Grant replied.

"Then why didn't you mate me last night?" I demanded.

Grant sighed as if I were exasperating him which only irked me further.

"Listen Vienna, you wouldn't understand so how about we just leave it for now?"

I blinked in astonishment, shocked by his words and his boldness. Where was the frightened man I had rescued from his own abusive pack? "Excuse me?" I hissed, "I took you in from your pack, brought you into my home and have been making sure you have the medical attention, the food, the exercise that you need and never got. Yeah, maybe you're right and I won't understand but you should at least try to explain to me why you didn't mate me when I was going through my heat."

Grant rolled his eyes as he stood up, straightening to his full height, towering over me in the small room. "I said we're going to leave it for now." he growled.

"I'm the alpha of this pack, I make the decisions here!" I shouted, finally hitting my breaking point. Mate or not, I would not be disrespected, especially by an omega.

"You're hardly an alpha at all, you have no authority over me." he scoffed, sauntering towards the door.

That was it. My resolve snapped.

"What did you say?" I snarled, feeling my wolf claw around inside me. She wanted to get out; she wanted to show him that he was a fool for even opening his mouth. She wanted him on the floor under her paws, begging for forgiveness like the weak coward he was.

"You're a woman, you aren't meant to be an alpha. Hell, you wouldn't even make a good luna. Now Karma on the other hand-"

I couldn't take it. My wolf won the battle against the human part of me and she forced the shift to happen before I could even comprehend what was going on. In seconds I had the thin man that was my mate on the floor, under my heavy paws. He was shouting for help we both knew wouldn't come and my wolf thoroughly enjoyed watching him squirm so pathetically under her weight before she tilted her head down and bit down on his neck.

&

Vote and comment if you liked it! Your support means a lot to me!