Chapter 22

"You're absolutely crazy." I announced, staring at the old newspaper head line.

"You're considering it." Greg countered, "I can basically see the gears turning in your head. You think it might be a possibility."

"I think it's amazing you wasted so much time looking this shit up instead of working, but I'm not really considering this to be an option Greg. He just went out for a run and he's going to come back later, that's all."

"It's midnight Vienna, he's not coming back tonight unless the search team finds him, please, consider this. I've been researching this for days, I dug into every resource I possibly could and I think it's a match. Two minutes ago you told me that Grant's parents didn't even look that much like him, one had the same hair colour, and the other had green eyes. seventy five percent of the population has dark brown hair and you could've confused the eye colour with hazel."

"This is insane! He's an omega!" I protested, but I couldn't deny the knot I felt in my stomach that was gradually tightening. I knew something was wrong, I knew something bad had happened to Grant, but right now I could only hope my search team found him.

"He's adopted, he doesn't know his own ranking!" Greg argued, "Listen to me Vienna, I think this is true, I think he could be-"

"Enough!" I yelled, "My mate is in trouble and you decide to pull this shit. He is not a part of the royal family, Greg, he is an omega from Alpha Jordan's pack and I'm going to find him!"

I raced out of my office, leaving all of the newspaper clippings and documents behind. I darted out of my home and the second my bare feet hit the grass I shifted into my wolf. She would be far better at finding her mate than I would be, she was faster, stronger, and had an amazing nose. If my search team couldn't find him then she could and she wouldn't stop until she knew he was safe.

We ran until we caught his scent along the outskirts of my pack lands then we followed it closely, nose to the ground, not stopping for anything. I went through creeks, sloughs, over logs, under barbed wire fences, and bridges to follow his scent and then it just disappeared.

My wolf paced around, desperate to pick up his scent again, but there was nothing. No trail led away from where we were and when I finally lifted my head I saw two of my trackers standing in human form, looking somber.

"We're sorry Alpha. We tried to find him, I spanned my men out for another mile around this spot and no one can find his scent. It's like he vanished." One of them said.

My wolf whimpered at his words, the knot in her stomach so tight she nearly wanted to throw up. But when she lifted her nose and caught the smell of a nearby pack she didn't hesitate, she bolted towards the pack, leaving my own men behind.

I had to run for probably another hour in wolf form before I ended up on the out skirts of the other pack lands and I was instantly greeted by warriors. They sauntered out of the bushes snarling madly at me until I growled back at them. I knew I should've been polite because I was trespassing but I couldn't control myself.

Luckily for me a large brown wolf appeared and I immediately identified him as the alpha, even before he shifted into his naked human form.

"Alpha Vienna, so nice of you to drop by." Jordan purred.

I wanted to growl at him as well but now was not the time so I let out a bark, hoping he would understand.

Somehow he did and he ordered one of his men to grab me a shirt so I could shift without shame. Once the shirt was tossed at my feet I shifted and quickly pulled it over my sweaty skin.

"Grant is gone, I need your help to find him, I know you have some of the best trackers in the country and he came fairly close to your border." I pleaded, my voice breaking. Hell, I was almost near tears.

I expected Jordan to become hostile or bitter towards me, the last time I had seen him I had stormed out and caused a scene. But when he realized my mate was missing his face visibly softened and he even moved to put an arm around my shaking shoulders as an act of comfort.

"I'll have my men on it right away, but you need to get inside, I think you're going into shock." He said, pulling me towards his pack land.

"But Grant-"

"My men will find them." He hushed, nodding at two wolves standing behind us. Both of them took off immediately.

"What if he's hurt?" I asked, feeling dread pool within my stomach, "I need to go look for him." I said, trying to pull away from Jordan.

"It's alright." The other alpha cooed, "I'm not letting you go after him, you're tired, you're cold, and your body is so stressed out it's shaking. I don't care how much you argue or put up a fight, I'm going to make you drink some tea and have a nap before anything else is decided, am I clear?"

I wanted to fight him and yell at him, to tell him the man I loved was somewhere out there in the wilderness, but I couldn't do it. He was right. My whole body was trembling, I was exhausted, and I was so worried I wanted to throw up. So I let him walk me into his little village and direct me to a quaint house.

"I would suggest that you stay in my home, but my mate is gone and I feel like you need some company. Sterling will take good care of you, I promise."

"Alright." I sighed, following him to the door.

Jordan knocked on the front door of the house and a few seconds later a man opened the door, looking peeved until he met the eyes of his alpha.

"Alpha Jordan, what are you doing here?" he asked, startled.

"I need a favour from you. Alpha Vienna lost her mate, he's gone off in the woods somewhere, can you keep an eye on her while the other men search for him? I'm worried she's gone into shock."

"Of course, Alpha." He replied, then cast his brown eyes down to me, "Please, Alpha, come in." he encouraged.

I did as I was told, mostly on autopilot now. The two men continued to talk for some time, Alpha Jordan said something about going to join the search effort, but I ignored him. My brain was running in circles. I was thinking of all of the places he could've gone, but with a disappearing scent trail I was coming up blank. I tried to think of how the trail just vanished, but nothing came to mind. Then I began wondering if he had simply left me and my heart clenched painfully.

"Would you like to sit down?" Sterling asked. Jordan was gone, the front door closed and I was left alone with a very concerned man.

"That would be lovely." I replied with a queasy smile.

Sterling was very kind. He took me to the living room where he directed me to a very soft leather couch and carefully placed a thin blanket over me. Afterwards he brewed me some tea and turned on the television. He didn't talk much, he would occasionally look at me to make sure I wasn't having a break down, but his presence was comforting.

We stayed side by side and silent for hours before my body started to get sore and I had to stand up.

"I should go back to my pack." I announced.

"It's a long run back to your pack, Alpha Vienna, it's late and you're already exhausted." Sterling argued, "Stay the night, it's no bother, really, and tomorrow you won't have to run all the way back."

I yawned, and I could tell he was right. My body was aching and the trek tomorrow would be harder than today.

"Okay." I agreed.

Sterling made sure that I was fed. He made me a microwave meal which instantly assured me that he was single, then he attempted to convert the little leather couch into a bed by bringing me a heap of blankets and a small pillow.

"This is all I got so I hope this is alright." He said as I adjusted all of the blankets.

"This is more than I could've asked for, goodnight Sterling."

And just like that I drifted off to sleep in another man's house while my mate was somewhere else in the world, by himself.

1U#,E

Tell me what you think is going to happen in the comments? Any guesses on who Sterling is?