Chapter 20

The next few days went by without much of an issue. Greg was still reoccupied with his findings, but he refused to tell me what was on his mind. Grant was bold enough to sleep in my bed every night despite the fact that we hadn't had sex since our first experience; I think he was a little afraid to hurt me again. I didn't complain, the ache between my legs needed time to heal. I even had time to catch up on all of the paper work I had been neglecting.

Everything was going smoothly until there was an aggressive knock on my door one day. I had been in the kitchen making supper so I sauntered over to the front door, humming to myself as I opened it. But when I saw who stood behind it my heart dropped.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice void of emotion.

My mother batted her large brown eyelashes at me, "Is that anyway to greet your mother whom you haven't talked to in months?"

I just rolled my eyes, turned away from the door, and went back into the kitchen. I didn't have to tell my parents to let themselves in, I knew they would. And if we're being honest I really didn't want them in my home. I had never actually hated my parents, but they hated me since the day I was born with ovaries. A lot of people said I was something of a miracle, but not my parents. They didn't want a miracle, they simply wanted a son.

"So what is new with my favorite child?" my mom pressed, tossing her jacket on the back of my couch like she was in her own home.

"I'm your only child." I snapped back, "So that means I'm also your least favorite."

My mom chuckled as if I had said a funny joke and cast a glance towards her husband who I hadn't cared to notice until now. My father at least had the decency to be quite straight up. He wasn't trying to smile at me or be funny or sweet. He was just glaring at me. He could own the fact that he loathed me. He would've loved me to pieces if I had been a boy, but no, that wasn't the case.

"What are you making for supper?" my mom asked. "It smells lovely."

"It's just some chicken wings and fries, nothing special."

"Did you make enough for some uninvited guests?" my mom pushed, pouting dumbly.

"No."

"Oh, come on Vienna, you can treat your old parents better than that. We raised you to be kind and compassionate, like a good luna."

"Well, that's a fucking shame because I'm an alpha. You should've raised me to be tough, and bitter but you didn't, so I did it myself." I snarled.

My dad snorted when I called myself an alpha and I could feel my wolf trying to surface, she wanted him bleeding and begging for mercy, but I restrained myself. He was still my father and I didn't want to spend a full day scrubbing blood off my floor again.

"But you're a woman, for all we knew you were going to be mated to someone like alpha Jordan." My mom murmured, trying to sound tender.

"It shouldn't have mattered." I argued, "You should have raised me to be successful either way. There's nothing wrong with being a strong, but compassionate woman, you know."

"V?" Grant's voice should've made me melt and give out a little sigh of relief, but instead it only made me tense up more.

"Oh this must be your lovely mate." My mom cooed, "Oh he's handsome for an omega."

Grant's face flamed with embarrassment and I resented my mother for even thinking about his ranking.

"Why are you here?" I growled, grabbing Grant's hand when he was close enough and pulling him to me.