Chapter 37

"Wake up baby." Grant cooed.

The morning sun beams were targeted directly at my sensitive eyes and I could hear birds outside my window acting as my own personal alarm clock, but I just rolled closer to Grant with a moan. He chuckled and slid his strong arms around me, holding me while he peppered me with kisses.

"Come on, we have to go shopping, the king and queen are hosting a ball in our honour and I think I might need some new clothes." Grant murmured.

"Just five more minutes." I groaned, pressing my face against his chest.

"Still sleepy?"

"No, just snuggly." I said.

Grant sighed and kissed the top of my head, "Alright, I can't deny you of that."

"Last time you went shopping you had a panic attack." I pointed out, "I don't think you should go again, at least not until you feel like you can handle it."

"I can handle it." Grant said, but his voice wavered.

"I'm pick you up a suit jacket, some pants, and a tie to match whatever dress I have as long as you have a plain black dress shirt." I offered.

"I do have a black dress shirt." He murmured.

"Good, then I'll take Karma with me and we'll go get some clothes, I think a distraction would be good for her."

Grant shrugged, "I'm not sure how she feels about you right now." he warned.

"I'm not sure either, but this will certainly clear the air."

After I convinced Grant to stay in bed with me for an extra half hour I managed to pull myself from the sheets, shower, put on fresh clothes and brush my teeth and hair. Grant went down stairs to start cooking breakfast and by the time I reached the kitchen I was greeted with a mountain of pancakes.

"How did I ever get so lucky?" I wondered aloud as I sat down on a bar stool.

Grant grinned and flipped another pancake, "I could say the same to you."

I gave out a dreamy sigh and began eating, allowing myself not to think about the past or future but to just adore the present while it lasted. I was here with the man I loved, the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, how could anything be better?

Eventually I finished eating and after s goodbye kiss I was off to Karma's. My pack members were still acting quite strangely towards me, but it had been so long since they regarded me properly that I had simply given up. They probably knew that they were in limbo considering that I would be moving on to Germany to be a royal. My heart clenched at the thought so I blocked the idea out as best as I could and knocked on Karma's front door.

She answered right away. She didn't look as happy and chipper as she usually did, but she also didn't have a resentful look in her eyes when she saw me. It wasn't the best case scenario, but it wasn't the worst either.

"Alpha Vienna." She greeted bleakly.

"Hey Karma, how are you?"

She just shrugged in response.

"Listen, the king and queen are hosting a ball tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to come dress shopping with me. I think it would be a good distraction for you."

Karma played with the ends of her hair, "I'm really not sure."

"Alright," I sighed, "well, I think it would be fun, but I won't make you do anything."

Karma shrugged, "You know what, getting out of my house for a few hours won't kill me and maybe some fresh air will be good."

"Great." I beamed, tugging her out of her home and towards my own.

In moments we were strapped into my car and on the road. For a while there was no conversation at all, Karma just stared out the window and twirled her hair around her fingers. Sometimes she looked like she was closed to tears and as much as I wanted to comfort her I knew it was best for her to face her emotions alone. When she had come to terms with what had happened I would be there to support her through the journey. At least I hoped I would have enough time to comfort her. I had no idea what was going on with the royal family but I feared that we would be moving soon and I would have to abandon my pack for good.

"Do you think they'll let me volunteer to go into the prison with Sterling?" Karma asked suddenly.

"Oh, Karma." I gasped, "That's a ridiculous request, I know you love him but I don't think anyone would allow it." I answered, shivering. The thought of my sweet pack doctor trapped below the surface in a cold dungeon with other convicts disgusted me. I knew she loved Sterling like no other, I would want to do the same for Grant, but I couldn't put her in that kind of danger.

"I can't bear to be without him Vienna, I love him. I will go to prison if it means that I get to see him every day." Karma protested.

"Listen, we'll think of a better plan, I can't let you do that to yourself." I countered, "Please, just trust me. As your alpha and your friend you have to know I want what's best for you."

Karma looked like she was about to argue, but then acknowledged my words, nodded, and stayed quiet for a while.

Once we got to the mal the conversations lightened considerably. We talked about what dresses to buy for ourselves and what colours would match our complexions. We talked about the drama that had occurred between my pack members and the rumors that had been floating around. I hoped the conversations made Karma feel better because they made my heart less heavy and I felt more connected to my pack than I had since Grant showed up.

"Do you really love him?" Karma asked as she flicked through dress pants.

"More than I ever thought I could." I said dreamily.

"Do you think you would've loved him this much if he wasn't a royal?"

I paused to stare at her, "What on Earth do you mean by that?" I demanded.

"It just seems like it would be difficult to run a pack with an omega by your side. And what would he be anyway? A luna?"

"My pack respects me. it took me forever to earn that respect but I got it." I answered sharply, "If he were not a royal he would still rule by my side if he chose to and if he didn't then that would be fine too. My pack would show him the same respect they show me because that is what he deserves regardless of his status. It's no different than a scrawny runt of a girl being mated to an alpha. In fact, it would be easier if he wasn't royalty."

"What do you mean by that?" Karma asked.

"I don't want to be a princess, Kar. I was happy being an alpha. I just don't want to lose everything I worked for, you know?" I whispered, feeling close to tears. "I mean, I'd follow Grant anywhere and if that's Germany then I'll deal with it, I just don't want to lose my pack."

Karma gave me a sad smile, "You don't have to worry about losing us. We'll be here for you whenever you need us. We're all just hoping you don't forget about us."

"Never." I mumbled, pulling Karma into a tight hug.

k9

Who is your favorite character?