Chapter 34

Grant gave my hand a tight squeeze when Karma walked into the doctor's waiting room. The king and queen were across the room from us, also holding hands and glancing nervously at each other. I knew they wanted Grant to be their long lost son; they had clung to hope for so many years that their son might still be out there and their dreams could be coming true today. But the last thing that I wanted was Grant to be a prince.

I knew it was selfish. I knew that Grant deserved a life filled with luxury and love after the brutality he had faced at the hands of Jordan, but I was horrified with the stakes, with what I could lose. I didn't want to leave my pack for another alpha. I didn't want the world to see me as just another public figure. I didn't want werewolves to forget that I was made of something, that I had created a life for myself.

"It'll be okay." Grant whispered to me, "I promise."

His words made the knot in my stomach loosen slightly but I wasn't sure if I could believe him completely.

"We hardly need the results." The queen said excitedly.

"What are you talking about Sophia?" The king demanded. He sounded disgruntled as usual.

"Well, when the two of them mated Vienna was given some of the chemical compounds that would make her a royal which is why she was able to command our guards. It's the only reasonable explanation." Sophia said, her eyes bright.

I wanted to throw up, "Can you please just tell us the results, Karma?" I asked.

Karma nodded, and glanced down at the paper she held in her hands, "The queen is correct. Grant is a match for the two parents. Grant is royalty."

My heart dropped and I could see Grant tensing up out of the corner of my eye.

"Well, then I guess we should stop calling you Grant, we should go back to calling you Theo." The queen gushed, leaping up. Tears were in her eyes and she tried to reach for Grant but he remained seated beside me.

"My name is Grant." He retorted, "It has been all of my life and I'm not changing it now."

The queen look startled and quite offended so the king stepped in.

"Son, Grant isn't a royal name. You may have been raised an omega but that needs to be forgotten. You are royalty to the highest degree and the world needs to see you as such. A name like Grant will not do you justice."

"Vienna-" Grant whispered, calling me in for back up.

"This is a lot to process." I blurted out as I grabbed my mate's shoulders, "We're both going to need some time to process this."

The king looked frustrated with my announcement while the queen looked saddened. It must've been awful to find your son and have him turn against you in a matter of seconds, but I knew that we weren't going to talk through this like four adults. There was going to be yelling, screaming, and fits. Leaving the situation for a little while was the best for all of us.

"I'm not changing my name to Theo." Grant protested. The door hadn't even closed behind me and I could hear the queen gasp.

"Grant, come on." I urged, pulling him back towards my home, "You know they're just excited to have you back. Can you imagine being in the kind of position they're in? It would be heart breaking." I murmured. "I'm not saying you should change your name, but we need to give them some time to grasp what's going on and we need to grasp what's going on. We've got this, okay?"

"I don't know how to be a prince or a king." Grant snapped. He yanked his arm away from me and began pacing outside of the clinic, "I was raised as an omega and my whole life I thought I was going to die an omega, that isn't going to change today."

"It's in your blood, you'll know how to be a king when the time comes." I argued. My voice was gentle. I worried that if I angered him he would turn against me, "You were born a prince, Grant."

"Why don't you just call me Theo?" Grant spat, his eyes blazing.

"I'm not against you Grant, I'm just saying there's some genetics behind it."

"Jordan beat my genetics out of me Vienna!" Grant shouted, "I was never allowed to think that I would be anything more than an omega and I believed him. I knew I was stronger and smarter, and faster, but I decided that it wasn't worth the abuse. I made the choice then and I'm making the choice now, I will not be a king or a prince."

"Grant, please, can we talk about this?" I begged.

"No, no I don't want to talk about it anymore, I'm sick of talking about it."

"You're upset and you're being irrational." I argued.

"Screw you Vienna; you probably just want me to be a prince so you can have more power than you already do. You alphas are all the same." With that Grant took off at a sprint, heading for the tree line and a few seconds later he had shifted into his wolf.

"God dammit." I muttered before turning away and walking to my home. If he was going to be a child then I was going to deal with this on my own.

After two hours of sipping tea and absently trying to read cheesy magazines I got a knock on the front door and Greg so entered.

"The trial is going to start soon, are you ready?" he asked.

"I suppose, though I have no idea what I'm doing and I doubt the king and queen will listen to my opinions." I mumbled.

"Where's Grant?" Greg asked.

"I don't know." I said honestly, "He gave me a speech about how we were going to be a team through this then left me so he could go for a run."

"It's hard for him." Greg murmured, "You know that."

"Of course I know that." I said, rolling my eyes, "But I also know that part of being mated to someone is helping them through tough times and it's frustrating that he thinks he's the only one going through a hard time. His parents must be devastated, but he didn't care. My life is going to change, but he didn't care about that either."

"He'll come around." Greg soothed.

"I hope so, but if he doesn't come around soon his parents are going to be convicting his own pack members without his opinion."

r)Q&

Thoughts, feelings? Vote and comment, it means a lot!