Chapter 26

"I can't believe we're doing this." I sighed as Greg and I trudged up the steep incline towards the grand castle.

"I don't think we have much of a choice." Greg muttered back, "If we tried to pursue the castle in wolf form we would be eaten alive by the family's many guards."

The royal family lived in their ancestors home, the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany, and after an eleven hour last minute flight I wasn't feeling particularly inclined to scale the hill that was required to reach the grand palace. I felt even less inclined to break in and demand that the king and queen listen to us. But Greg was right, we didn't have much of a choice. We either barged in and demanded they listen or we booked a meeting in at the next opening which was four months from now. I would be beyond lucky if Grant was still alive in four months and the thought made my stomach twist.

The castle was located far from other homes and services and the road reaching the castle, which wound up the side of a mountain, was not accessible by vehicle, only by foot or horse

The castle was located far from other homes and services and the road reaching the castle, which wound up the side of a mountain, was not accessible by vehicle, only by foot or horse. The trip up to the castle would've been rather breathtaking if I hadn't been so tired. The road was surrounded by forest which housed birds and other small critters and at this early hour everything was still. At this point I was simply grateful that the castle had been placed on the side of the mountain, rather than the top.

My tension didn't heighten until we came towards the gate, finally on flat ground, but now confronted by sturdy looking guard who weren't pleased to see guests so early in the morning.

"Please," I wheezed out, my throat dry and my knees trembling from exhaustion, "please, we need to speak to the king and queen, it's an emergency." I wanted to stand tall, like the regal alpha I was but I couldn't. My body hadn't slept properly for days and I hadn't been prepared for the hike I had just completed. At this point I was simply fearing I would pass out from exhaustion.

"You can do no such thing." One of the guards snapped, his golden eyes furious, "The king and queen do not appreciate surprises in the middle of the night."

"Please, I'm begging." I whimpered, "My mate is in trouble, he needs help and I can't do it alone."

"The royals do not partake in house calls." The guard hissed. I could see his fangs extending in his mouth as he became more angry and more defensive, "Now go back to where you came from mutt."

I might've been exhausted beyond belief. I might've wanted to plead on my knees like a poor man, but I was still an alpha and my wolf did not tolerate being called a mutt.

"Stand down." I snarled, "I'm an alpha and you will show me no disrespect." My knees still shook but my voice was loud and clear.

"Vienna." Greg warned timidly, "Don't do this."

The guard looked amused by my aggressive but I could tell he wanted a fight. He wanted to rip me to shreds just to teach me a lesson and my wolf wanted to do the same to him. This moment felt very similar to the moment when Grant challenged me in my own home and I marked him by force.

"I said stand down!" I shrieked, giving him one last warning.

To my surprise and the guard's horror he actually took an involuntary step back, bowing his head slight. As he did so his eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in shock. His body contorted as he tried to force it to remain standing, but his wolf obeyed my command and dropped to one knee as a sign of respect and submission.

I just blinked and gawked. I had never been able to force someone to do as I wanted with only my words but judging by the guard's pained expression he didn't look like he was following my orders out of obedience. He was showing me respect because his wolf had to. The guard had no conscious choice in the matter.

I had heard of the alpha tone before, but I never believed it was true. No alpha I had ever known held such a power and I myself had never been able to use it either. Well, until now.

"What did you do?" Greg asked, seeming just as dumbfounded as I was.

"I-I I don't know exactly." I replied honestly, a little shaken. But then I thought of Grant, all alone somewhere, waiting for my help and my brain began to function properly again, "It doesn't matter; we need to find the king and queen and tell them what's going on."

Greg and I raced through the grand castle in search of the owners, hoping they would magically appear before us. Occasionally I would find myself admiring the place, it truly was gorgeous, but then I would become lost, run into a guard, or become frustrated with the sheer size of the place and I would hate the massive building and all its glory. I didn't have time for all of the frills and glamour of a place like this when I was dealing with an emergency.

"Vienna!" Greg shouted.

When I glanced over I saw two bulking guards, both holding swords moving towards him in a threatening manner and my heart rate sped up dramatically. I might've lost my mate but I was not going to lose my beta too. I raced over to Greg as quickly as I could, my legs still weak and tired.

I shouted for the guards to back off, my voice coming out weakly. They simply smirked at my attempt to subdue them, but as they neared Greg I became more frightened for his safety and when I yelled again they all froze, stunned, then they also kneeled down against their will. I could basically feel the power radiating out of me like electricity and I was baffled by the sensation.

But I didn't have time to dwell on it because a door opened and a slammed shut.

"What is going on out here?" the masculine voice rang with so much authority I knew it belonged to the king.

CRȰH5v9

Thoughts, feelings? Also the neuschwanstein castle is gorgeous, i had the privilege to explore the castle in person the last time i went to europe and it's amazing which is why i included it.