Chapter 17

After some deliberation we got back into my car. I tried to convince grant that we could run in wolf form to his pack lands. I knew it would be quite far, but I also knew the car had made him nervous and I didn't want him to have another attack. But Grant was stubborn and insisted we take the car so after we got all of the bags in the trunk we were on the road again.

It took us about an hour to reach his pack, and when we entered the territory I could almost see his muscles tense up.

"It'll be alright." I said softly, putting the car in park, "They can't touch you anymore, you're a part of my pack and you are mated to an alpha." I encouraged, giving his hand a squeeze.

Grant glanced over at me, his facial expression telling me I didn't quite understand, but he simply nodded his head and unbuckled his seatbelt.

The pack lands had changed much since the last time I had been here, but, frankly I had been in such a frenzy to find my mate I had hardly noticed anything. The only true difference for me was now I wasn't being attacked and the alpha and beta of this pack were standing nearby, ready to greet me.

"Alpha Vienna!" the alpha called, waving his beefy hand in the air as if I could somehow miss him.

"Hello." I said curtly, striding towards them both with purpose "Thank you for allowing me on your land."

"Anything for a woman as gorgeous as yourself." The alpha purred.

I bit my tongue when a sly comment leapt up my throat. I knew this alpha had a mate and I also knew that after my episode last time I had no right to be rude to him. At least not yet.

"What can we do for you?" he asked.

"Nothing really, my mate simply wanted to see his family." I answered, pointing my thumb over my shoulder at Grant. He was keeping a fair distance from the alpha but I made no attempt to bring him closer. He would do what he needed to in his own time.

"Well, if that's the case why doesn't your mate run along and you and I will discuss more pressing matters?" The alpha suggested.

I wanted to argue with him. I wanted to be Grant's support system today because I think he really needed one and I wanted to meet his family. Knowing where someone comes from helps unravel the mystery and with Grant there was a lot of mystery. But I was worried that if I said no it would be rude and I had no idea there were matters to discuss so I was slightly intrigued.

"That sounds lovely." I agreed, forcing a dim smile.

"Good, come with me then."

I gave Grant an apologetic look over my shoulder when the alpha and his beta started to walk away and he gave me a blank stare in return. I decided not to worry too much; hopefully this meeting would be over in a matter of minutes.

The alpha ended up taking me to a local coffee shop that was very modern and very clean. He even ordered coffee for me which both irked me and pleased me. I was grateful for his kindness but he didn't ask what I wanted and it felt almost like he was a controlling boyfriend.

"So, let's be honest, you're here to get rid of that omega you were wrongfully mated with." The alpha announced, speaking casually.

I nearly spat out my coffee at his words.

"Pardon?" I asked, horrified.

"You're an alpha, he's an omega, it just doesn't make sense." The alpha pushed.

"He's my mate." I hissed. I was clenching the edge of the table to keep myself from punching him or his smug looking beta. "It's Jordan right?" The alpha nodded, "You have a mate, would you give her up because she had low status, Jordan?"