It's About Damn Time

He hated himself. Hated his mind, his genius. He hated the orb of energy that kept him alive, despised it. Hated his past, his nightmares, the way his skin crawled when he gave a witty retort. But of course, he didn't let it show. How could the Tony Stark show weakness, show that he was hurting, that he was human. And you were sick of it.
---------------------------
"Tony, stop fidgeting, it looks fine." You said, keeping your tone light.
"But it's ug-"
"I swear Tony- if you say it's ugly one more time!" You said, causing him to pause.
"You don't under-"
"You're damn right I don't understand! I don't know what it's like to have a piece of technology keeping me alive- but you don't understand Tony. It's beautiful, it's perfect. It's keeping you alive Tony! Without this, well you'd be six feet under. Tony without the reactor, we'd never have met. Just accept it Tony! I'm sick and tired of you complaining!"
     "Have you always felt like this?" Tony asked softly, take aback by your outburst. You shook your head with a sad smile.
      "I know what it's like to hate yourself Tony, trust me. I've been there." You said not meeting his gaze. Tony's footsteps came closer to you, his hand brushing against your cheek, causing you to look into his eyes. You shifted your eyes to his arc reactor, tracing the outline through his shirt. His breaths came shallower as your fingernail traced his skin, dancing on his scars. He reached with his other hand to cup your face and kissed you. Toby hadn't kissed you before- he barely ever touched you. He was scared. Scared of losing you to one of his one night stands so he didn't take you. But he'd wanted to, for so very long. When you'd finally starting dating he kept the physical contact to a minimal, the occasional brushing of hands and clashing of feet. But nothing more. Tony pulled away, looking for something in your eyes to tell him that what he did was right. The assurance he never got from Howard that he so desperately needed.
    "Well, it's about damn time."