33. Tug in the Heart

Kageyama POV
(In the gym for the boy's volleyball team)

After running around the gym screaming my life out and seeing the third years return to the volleyball club. I thought that everything would be back to normal. I thought we would be able to redeem ourselves by participating in the upcoming Spring Tournament as a team... But there was something I didn't know.

"Hey Everyone!" Tomoyo bursts out of the gym door with Natsuki practically choking to death from Tomoyo's grip on her collar.

What's Tomoyo doing here? Doesn't she have club activities right now?

"It's nice to see that all the third years are back here in this club too, " Tomoyo points out with a huge smile.

"Hey Tomoyo what do you need here?" Tanaka asks and Tomoyo snickers.

"Natsu-sama has to tell you guys something!" Tomoyo yells out loud and pushes Natsuki to the center of attention.

Natsuki clicks her tongue and glances over to me with a sullen look on her face. She shakes it off and turns to everyone else. "I have some news. I will be on temporary leave from club activities for a short amount of time." She announces and my eyes dilate in shock.

Temporary leave.... What is she talking about?

"Sakura will still be here as your photographer and Tomoyo is going to be your temporary second in charge coach next to Coach Ukai." She pauses for a while, "I'm still going to be the coach for your team, but I need to take care of some family business. Once I'm done I'll come back." She shows us a soft smile. "Don't forget about your hard core training I've been giving you because it's going to get worse in the near future."

I watch Nishinoya and Tanaka cry tears hearing Natsuki's announcement. "Wahhh you're going to leave," they cry and she shakes her head.

"I'm coming back. It's just temporary." She bluntly repeats again and the third years nod their heads in understanding.

Temporary...

I should be relieved it's not permanent but even so... my chest hurts. It's only a temporary leave yet it's so painful and now I know why, it's because....
I love Natsuki. Not just as a coach, but my feelings for her are real. I love Natsuki Tsukiyomi. Not for her skills in volleyball but for her. She became a part of my everyday life, she's more important than anything even volleyball.

"It's okay Natsuki we'll still keep your spot open when you come back," Sugawara says.

"Thanks," Natsuki smiles and everyone takes the news well.

If you tell her your feelings then maybe she won't go...

Is this what Tomoyo meant earlier? If I tell Natsuki to stay, then she'll stay for me? I grit my teeth, but that would make me selfish wouldn't it. Natsuki may have a reason for temporary leave. I might be stopping her from what she needs to do. Besides I haven't fully apologized to her yet.

"Tobio," a hand swings back and forth in front of my face.

"W-What the hell?!" I shout completely startled by the sudden hand in front of me. Natsuki bursts out laughing seeing my reaction.