40. Resolve

Natsuki POV

After I exit out of the company building, I briskly walk away and the moment there were less people around. I squat down with my hands on my face embarrassed from the earlier events that happened today.

"What did I just declare?!" I shout aloud and some of the bystanders around stare at me like I was some kind of crazy person.

The moment I saw my stepmother, I felt a surge of anger and fear as I was reminded of the past mental abuse she put me through while she kept up with her outward appearance of a sweet, endearing wife to the people around her. She always looked down on me and there were always people that sided with her which made me unable to speak up without rumors flying around.

Yet today, the shocked expression on her face when I retaliated against her words was nice to see.

...

My father though. I could never understand him. He was a strict, cold man that rarely shows any emotions. I never understood what my mother meant when she said my father loved me. He barely knew me then and even now he doesn't try to get to know me in any way.

I think back to my time in the Serizawa household. It was no surprise that I chose to leave. There was no one who stood by my side. My stepmother detested me as the illegitimate child that father had and Ken, even though he tried his best to help me, had the overall responsibility to be the caretaker for Kimiko and I. There were boundaries that he couldn't pass when it came to speaking up his opinion.

Kimiko, on the other hand, truly loved me as her older half sister but she never did anything when her mom was tormenting me and only watched from afar. I don't blame her for anything because she was only a kid but it didn't change the circumstances I was in.

I look back at the building one last time and sigh. The fact that I went against him was quite out of character for me, even surprising my father. I can't believe I made such a rash decision like that. To come back to the Serizawa family and put myself back into the ring for the competition of being the next in line.

Do I have any regrets of what I just did?

No.

The moment I decided to break ties with the Serizawa family, I have always told myself that I can watch from a distance and that was enough, but it wasn't. Before I knew it, I started coaching volleyball for the boys volleyball team and slowly I came to realize that deep inside I wanted to play again.

 Before I knew it, I started coaching volleyball for the boys volleyball team and slowly I came to realize that deep inside I wanted to play again

The volleyball in my hand. The feeling of spiking the volleyball down. I miss it. I never thought I would till Kageyama brought me back into volleyball. That idiot loving volleyball player influenced me more than I could have ever imagined. Meeting him made me realize that I shouldn't run away anymore and that I should move forward.