38. The Past

Natsuki POV
(8 years ago...)

I could still remember it faintly. The smell of the hospital, the tighten grip of Jun's hand with mine every time we would stand in front of my mom's hospital door.

I was young but I knew that my mom's condition was deteriorating day by day. It was hard to come visit her, especially for Jun who would always cry every time before we visited.

The three of us were always close. When I was young, I lived with my mom and Jun. My mom was a single parent who took care of the two of us and Jun, even though he was my uncle, was more like a big brother to me. At the time, I didn't know who my father was but I knew that he was alive. He didn't live with us nor did he ever come visit me. The only reason why I knew he was alive was because he would always send money to my mom to support me as a child.

Yet although my mom was given the money, she never accepted it. She was an independent woman and who never wanted anyone to pity her unfortunate circumstances. When she was in high school and Jun was in elementary school, her parents died in a plane accident and ever since then she struggled to make a living while taking care of Jun and attending school. It was hard for her but she never gave up. She was admirable, Jun and I saw her as our role model.

However it blinded all of us from the fact that she was overworking herself. My mom continued to work and neglected her health to raise us properly and when she was diagnosed with cancer. Everything changed.

Jun knocks on the door. "Nee-san, Natsuki and I are here."

"You can open the door," my mom says and Jun opens the door. When she sees Jun and I, she smiles. "How was school for the two of you today?"

"Good!" I answer. "I got a 100% on my multiplication timed test!" I happily show my mom then puff up my chest proudly. "Also my volleyball coach told me that I can be the team setter for the next game we're playing. Aren't I amazing mom?!"

My mom giggles. "Natsuki you're amazing. You're going to be an outstanding person in the future and one I can definitely be proud of," she compliments me as she pats my head.

"How about you Jun?" My mom asks and Jun turns his head to the side.

"I going to quit the volleyball team," he mumbles.

My mom's eyes widen."Jun... you love volleyball why are you—-"

"Nee-san how can I play volleyball when I know that your life is slowly deteriorating. I heard you only have a few weeks left to live. Every time I play, I think of the past when we used to play together. It hurts knowing the fact that I should be using that time to be with you, not play volleyball." Jun grits his teeth as he tries to keep his tears in. "I already talked to the captain about quitting after the Interhigh preliminaries and he accepted it. I haven't told the rest of my team but I think it's best to keep it that way." Jun takes my mom's hand. "Nee-san when mom and dad died, I didn't know what to do. I thought we were going to be separated but you didn't let that happen. You always kept your head up and took care of me no matter how hard it was. Now I want to be there for you like how you were there for me. I don't ever want to leave your sight."

"Jun..." My mom pauses. "I understand but even so my condition shouldn't stop you from--"

"Nee-san! You left volleyball for him and at what cost!? You could've kept your successful career as the setter in the girls' V-league division 1 but you didn't. You raised Natsuki all alone and what does he do as the father! He cuts off all ties with you and betrays you by marrying another woman!" Jun shouts.

"Father... Will my father ever come visit?" I ask and Jun smashes his fist on the wall.

"No he won't!" Jun angrily shouts. "That hypocrite of a man is the last person I ever want to see!"