01 | MASQUERADE

01 | MASQUERADE

❝she has an oceanic soul, and I will spend my lifetime trying to comprehend how even her depths have depths❞

she has an oceanic soul, and I will spend my lifetime trying to comprehend how even her depths have depths

The whole expanse of the room was filled with glittering tributes and colorful Capitol people. Everyone was dressed in their best clothes and priceless jewelry, singling out who was rich and who was the richest. But no one could mistake that Snow was the most powerful. He hid amongst the gamemakers at the top of a balcony, looking down at all of his pawns and players. His most full attention though, was on Finnick. You had to make sure everything was going smoothly before you could enjoy the fun.

Down near the group of tributes was Johanna Mason dressed in a favorable dress that showed off her sleek frame and muscles. She stood beside an awestruck Greyson who was too busy examining the glowing flowers and koi fish that swam in circles underneath the trickling water, to notice the way half of the men at the party flittered their glances at her in lust. Every time one would dare try and talk to her, Johanna would growl at them and remind them how much they would miss the living if they were dead.

Greyson also hadn't noticed that she caught the eyes of Finnick Odair, who happened to be knee deep in lace and feminine perfume. It took about ten minutes for him to finally manage to slip away from the prowling group of women. He wore a simple black tux with a missing tie and a few buttons of his dress shirt popped open to expose more of his silky, tan skin. Johanna noticed him immediately and ushered him over to a mindless Greyson that was sticking her fingers into the water to play with the calming fish.

Johanna tapped Greyson on the shoulder, breaking her away from her train of thought. "Greyson, he wants to dance with you." Greyson looked at Finnick and immediately noticed how handsome he was, even if she couldn't see much of his face from the green mask he wore.

She bit her lip before nodding. "Okay, yeah sure." Finnick smiled and held out his hand, ready to show her what she's been missing. He doesn't know much about Greyson Hunter other than from what Johanna has explained to him on the phone. She was extremely stubborn, witty, and bearably shy. But she also was a bit of a painter and loved to read old books. It amazed him how he had never seen this girl before. But that was her secret to tell; if she even knew what it was.

They found themselves where the music played loudly, and where dancers were performing their absolute best and laughing all the while. Greyson had only danced with her deceased father before, never with a stranger and in heels. So she had a shaky start after Finnick placed his hand on her waist and she laced hers around his strong shoulder and the other tightly in his firm hand. Finnick noticed how her eyes kept darting around the room, looking anywhere but at him. For once, his female companion was the least interested in him and it felt surprisingly satisfying.

"Who are you looking for?" He asked, his sea foam green eyes meeting her dazzling blue and cloudy grey eyes. Her black dress complimented her figure to the point where it only reached the tops of her knees and fluttered loosely against her average figure.

Greyson acknowledged him for the second time tonight, and blushed as she realized how impolite she's been. "Sorry, I'm just looking for a uh... Finnick Odair?" She nodded when she said his name correctly and Finnick smirked at her oblivious state, deciding to go along with the whole thing.

"I'm not sure who that is, but I'll help you find him." He detached himself from her, still holding onto her hand, and ushered her outside onto the cobblestone pathway that leaded out to an extravagant garden. Twinkling lights were scattered amongst the branches and leaves of various trees, and more rare flowers swayed along with the light breeze that occasionally passed by. "Now," Finnick started to say, "what does he look like?"

Greyson paused for a minute, wondering why he dragged her all the way out here when everyone was back inside. She brushed it off and answered him. "Johanna said he was tall and had sandy brown hair. He's got these green-blue eyes and he's always smirking at something..." Greyson faltered, noticing just how accurate her dancing partner matched her description. Finnick's smirk grew as her eyes widened.

Greyson then, shamefully realized that she's been with Finnick Odair this whole time. How could she be so stupid? Johanna wouldn't just let her dance with anyone.

Greyson punched Finnick in the arm and he laughed, "it took you awhile. Record time even."

She huffed and walked further into the garden, taking a seat on a marble bench. Finnick sat beside her and watched as she unstrapped her heels, wiggling her toes a little. "Not a fan?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I prefer socks," she said, sitting up straighter.

He gave her a suggestive look, "just socks?" She caught on and breathed out a short laugh before elbowing him in the ribs.

"You're disgusting, Finnick Odair," she grimaced.

He rolled his eyes and threw an arm around her shoulders, sending an erratic shiver down her spine. "You and I are going to have so much fun together." She didn't answer, and instead was thankful for the brief moment of silence that passed between them.

"So you live in District Four, down the street from me?" Greyson asked suddenly, curious about all things Finnick.

"Yeah, mind telling me why I never see you around, or that I've never seen you in general. Ever." Greyson shrugged and picked at her nails.

"I don't know, I just assume it's because there's no need for me..." She thought for a few seconds then laughed. "It's ironic how at first, you live your whole life not wanting to get selected for the Games, and now I'm here wanting to be picked for something just so I can enjoy my life."

Finnick stared at Greyson, wondering how he's gone through some of the toughest years of his life in the spotlight when this woman has been secluded ever since she won the 66th Hunger Games. Their worlds were so different, and yet here they were, sitting together in a comfortable silence underneath the stars.

He felt a great urge to know more about her, to know all of her deepest darkest fears and breathe the same air as her. At that moment, Finnick wanted to be closer to Greyson more than before she was just a thought to him. Even when he used to stay up late at night and imagine what she was thinking about or when he would ask Johanna more, intricate details about her. He knew about her before she knew his name, but now that she was sitting next to him with their shoulders brushing up against one another's, he couldn't have been more lost.