36 | TRIDENT AND BOW

"Are you sure?" Katniss asked, her voice rough from the recent incident with Peeta

"Are you sure?" Katniss asked, her voice rough from the recent incident with Peeta. "It wouldn't be the same with just me."

Greyson nodded from beside Finnick who was casually eating his lunch. Another day had passed since talking to Johanna. Which meant another day of figuring out Finnick and another day of surviving. Katniss was going to District Two with Gale. Peeta was still unstable, and he quite possibly could stay that way forever. Greyson wanted to give Katniss sympathy, but she knew the girl hated when people pitied her.

"I'm sure, plus Finnick will probably get himself lost in here." She grinned as she felt him lightly elbow her arm, causing the spoon she was holding to rattle.

He looked over at Katniss to briefly say, "go save the world, I'm sure you can do it without Grey, she isn't much help out there anyways." Katniss smiled at them while Greyson stole a piece of his bread from his plate and shoved it into her mouth. "That was mine," he pouted.

"Too bad," Greyson quipped while using the glass of water she had to swallow the rest of the dry bread. She was about to ask Katniss if Prim could show her how she does her detailed braids, but a hand had wrapped around the one holding her glass, stealing her water.

Looking over, Finnick merely smirked at her while taking a large gulp of the drink, leaving barely a small gulp at the bottom. "What's yours is mine," he winked.

Greyson didn't know what to say. She was conflicted between crying at the idea of him becoming himself again and smacking him on the head for drinking almost all of her water. And yet she found her hand blindly sliding to his underneath the table and entwining her fingers with his. She didn't say anything, in fact, she looked to Katniss who was quietly conversing with Gale, pretending nothing had happened.

Finnick pulled their hands onto his leg and leaned in to Greyson once more, his lips tickling her ear with his soft breath that she found magically enticing. "I love you, kitten."

Greyson bowed her head, a shaky sigh of relief passing through her. "I love you too." She searched his eyes for any sort of emotion that would deter her, but to her surprise, all she saw was the man who held her in the darkness of her bedroom and whispered sweet nothings in her ear when he thought she couldn't hear him. Greyson became aware that with each day spent by his side, and even with the time away, he was unraveling to her the depths of him he was too scared to share before. And she was more than okay with that.

Gale cleared his throat from across the table. Greyson could tell from day one that he didn't exactly trust Finnick, not because he was a Victor or one of Snow's toys, but because after the episode with Peeta, he didn't want to relive another one. She understood his concerns, but she knew Finnick was in the right.