37 | OLD FRIENDS AND DRESSES

The first thing on Greyson's list was to visit Effie

The first thing on Greyson's list was to visit Effie. She knew the woman would be thrilled to actually have something to do besides dressing up the Mockingjays. She knew that sometimes people needed a distraction from what was really going on around them, just to ease their mind for a little while.

After hunting with Finnick, he left her to go meet with Plutarch and discuss their engagement. He had pressed a hard kiss to her lips in the elevator that took them down and murmured, "I've never seen you so bright before." And even after everything, she felt her heart sway in her chest.

The sharp sounds of her knuckles hitting the door of Effie's room snapped her out of the small moment that had taken place only a few seconds ago. The door slid open automatically, and with a gracious smile, Effie adjusted her gray bandana to greet Greyson.

"Greyson, what brings you here?" She still had her chirpy Capitol accent that Greyson loathed, but the woman who spoke the words overruled the small characteristic.

"Finnick asked me to marry him." Even saying the words had her blushing. She felt like a school girl.

Usually she kept her relationship with Finnick as quiet as possible, but now that they were going to be married she couldn't help but feel proud to be his.

Effie clapped her hands together and cheered, grabbing Greyson by the shoulders and pulling her into her room. All around, there were simple articles of clothing hung up on racks and an eyeliner pencil or an eyeshadow here and there. She could tell Effie had downgraded the most during the transition to Thirteen. Living a life knowing you had everything at your fingertips grew on a person, and then to have it all suddenly taken away, it must be hard. Unlike Effie, Greyson knew the definition of struggle and hard work, even as a Victor she had to make sure to obey Snow's commands, which mostly consisted of staying quiet and hidden.

"Oh, I just love weddings!" Effie beamed, turning to grab a sketchbook and a pen. "Okay, now I know we're short on fabrics, but I think I'll be able to make you the prettiest bride there ever was in Thirteen."

Greyson raised an eyebrow at her, "what do you mean?"

Effie rolled her eyes, sketching away at the paper furiously. "I mean, your wedding dress. Every bride needs a gown. . . ." She paused for a moment, still digging the pen into the paper, until finally pulling away and flipping it over to show Greyson, "and you, Miss Soon-To-Be-Odair, need to look like a queen."

Greyson's eyes ran over the drawing, finding each line to have a unique place on the dress. It was beautiful, simple but gorgeous, and she knew Finnick would love it. She smiled to Effie, nodding, "thank you, it's incredible."

"Well," Effie shrugged as if it was no big deal, "I'm no Cinna or Selene."

Greyson shook her head, "I love it, Effie. It's perfect."

As if Effie had been overwhelmed with a new emotion, a genuine smile replaced her neutral expression. "Thank you."

* * *

"You're actually marrying him?" Johanna asked in a loud, questioning voice.

Greyson rolled her eyes at her best friend, who was feeding off of the extra morphine Katniss had given her. Greyson didn't like the idea of Johanna becoming a Morphling, but she hadn't been through what Johanna had during her stay at the Capitol, so she couldn't blame her for not wanting the pain to go away.

"I love him," Greyson defended him with a slight pout. "Plus, it's better we get it over with now while everyone still has their wits."

"And souls," Johanna muttered under her breath.

Greyson rolled her eyes. "Snow isn't going to steal our souls, I won't let that happen. He's taken too much from us already."

Johanna sat back in bed against her pillows, smirking at her once feebly shy friend. "Look at you. You've gone all rebellious on me."

Greyson shrugged, "when there's a spark there's a fire somewhere."

Johanna nodded in agreement, her eyes wandering off to a far point in the room. "I'm really glad you've found someone, Grey. I knew you at your worst, but he's seeing everything, and I think that's what draws you to each other. Not that you aren't attracted to each other, because with that hickey on your neck you sure as Hell are, but . . . you both care deeply for the other; you fix each other. And that's one of the most powerful things to have."

Greyson fell silent. She watched her best friend with sad eyes that were tainted with her beautiful words. Greyson reached out and grabbed Johanna's bony hand, giving it a light squeeze. "I will never leave you, Johanna. No matter how many times you think you can bullshit me by telling me how much you don't."

Johanna stared at Greyson. "I know."

Greyson gave Johanna a smile before asking, "has Katniss left yet?"

Johanna shook her head. "They leave in two days, just enough time to be at your wedding, actually."

She nodded, sighing as she sat on Johanna's bed. It wasn't the most comfortable mattress. "Is it bad I'm having second thoughts?"

"No." Johanna answered. "We are in the middle of a war and you loved-up idiots are getting married. But there's no denying the love you two feel for each other. It's annoying."

Greyson laughed, "good to know."

Johanna smirked, her eyes falling away for a brief second. Her mood darkened. "They messed us up pretty good, didn't they?" A bitter laugh escaped her chapped lips.

"They did," she solemnly agreed.

"At least we'll be dragging them down with us." Johanna remarked, a strange light dancing in her eyes.

They both shared a smile, leaving behind the passing nurses and the cold walls of Thirteen, and the daunting realization that deep down they knew the future was inevitable, even with a wedding mixed into the anarchy looming over their heads. Nothing could stop what was to come – sometimes there was nothing you could do to stop a flowing wound, all you could do was stand by and watch it bleed.

A/N: Grenna (Johanna + Grey) anybody? hahha I hope that didn't put any ideas in your heads.... this chapter is a little short because it's just showing that Greyson is preparing for the wedding, which will obviously take place in the next chapter, if you were wondering. also, I cannot believe this story got to 90k+, that's insane, like absolutely insane. we've come so far, hopefully we can make it to 100k. I would legit cry of joy btw.

p.s. (select shaming advertising)
if you're into game of thrones, go check out the Robb Stark or Jon Snow stories on my profile, they're going great so far and I plan to continue them with further extent after this book is finished!

thank you for reading, I'll be seeing you all soon with another update! xx