47 | DEATH DO US PART

SONG SUGGESTION: Light of the Seven by Ramin Djawadi

Her feet landed in a river of sewage. She gagged out loud, pulling the collar of her shirt over her nose and mouth. She felt claustrophobic already, the curved walls of the underground passage slowly closing in on her. She looked over at Finnick, who had that impenetrable wall of ice surrounding him, his face an emotionless passive mask. They shared a look and the corners of his lips twitched.

Pollux seemed worse than any of them, his face absent of all color and one hand gripping his brother's wrist tightly.

"My brother worked down here after he became an Avox," Castor explained. "Took five years before we were able to buy his way up to ground level. Didn't see the sun once."

Greyson shivered at the thought. She couldn't imagine how wretched it must have been for him. She wasn't even down there for two minutes and she wanted a fresh breath of air already. She missed the hot glow of the sun.

Peeta, a ticking time bomb himself, turned to Pollux. "Well, then you just became our most valuable asset." Both brothers smiled.

Nobody said anything else after that, they just began walking, until Pollux informed them of where to turn and how to avoid the cameras set up inside of the sewer. Greyson felt her muscles ache as they trudged through the thick grime, keeping a good pace to stay beside Finnick. She found Johanna at one point, her once witty aura now deflated by war. She wasn't sure what to say to her best friend. There was nothing to say, nothing cheery or pleasant she could bring up so they stayed silent. All she could do was keep moving forward.

They walked for about six hours before deciding to take a break. Greyson's feet were glad to be in the comfortable boots she was wearing – she couldn't fathom the pain of anything else.

"It's three in the morning," Finnick whispered to her zombie-like state.

She dragged her eyes over to his much more alert ones, "good morning." Somehow, he managed to smile in the darkness.

"We should rest," Katniss suggested, herself appearing particularly overcome with fatigue. No one objected.

Pollux led them to a tiny room lined with levers and dials, an orange light glowing above their heads. He held up four fingers, indicating that they could only rest for four hours.

Any amount of sleep was enough, Greyson thought as she found herself squished in a corner next to a wide eyed Finnick and Gale. She nuzzled her head onto Finnick's shoulder and fell asleep, not really caring about watch schedules or eating – no matter how loud her stomach growled.