07 | DIAPHANOUS

07 | DIAPHANOUS

Greyson could remember in her Games when she attempted to climb a tree to get a look at the whole arena, only to have her foot slip on a branch and fall

Greyson could remember in her Games when she attempted to climb a tree to get a look at the whole arena, only to have her foot slip on a branch and fall. The air was knocked out of her. She couldn't breathe and her vision was blotchy for a few moments. And she was fearful that someone would find her and end all that she had sacrificed at that moment from being purely vulnerable.

She felt that now. Watching Finnick cross the stage to stand next to Elodie. Her hands shook with anger towards the Capitol, and the fact that nobody would volunteer for him. It was sad, really, that nobody wanted to save him. Because she would have in a heartbeat.

"Well, our two victors for the 75th Hunger Games, Finnick Odair and Greyson Hunter!" Elodie exclaimed. She looked sad as she said his name, and Greyson supposed every female in the Capitol felt that way about him. He was after all, the Prince of the Capitol; the flirt. "Now shake hands you two!"

She's met with sea green eyes as she turned to grasp his hand. Her stomach fluttered at the brief contact, something that had been happening for awhile now. Every cell in her body was yearning for his unceasingly warm touch, but nevertheless she turned them down. Because there was no room for love at times like these. And she was sure Finnick would much rather have someone more sensible than the girl who could barely make herself a couple of friends.

Elodie immediately escorted the two Victors into the Justice Building with a group of peacekeepers following closely behind. Greyson soon realized what was going on. They weren't giving them the allotted time to say goodbye to their loved ones, they were taking them directly to the Capitol. "No," she whispered under her breath.

She turned around to get a good look at Mags and Annie, the words forming a goodbye in her throat. But they never came. She felt someone push her forward and towards the main entrance to the train, leaving her with her back away from her district. She knew there was no returning after today. It was clear, even after Finnick had tried his best to train her. She wasn't going to be making it back to District Four anytime soon, and she wasn't going to tell him this. If Greyson learned one thing about the Games, it was that some things were better left unsaid.

"Come on, Grey," Finnick mumbled. He stood behind her holding out a glass of champagne. The sparkling liquid sloshed against the thinly stemmed glass as she took it from him. "Let's have a toast," he said next, raising his glass. There was an unsettling contentment in his eyes.

"To what?" She questioned. Her mind reeled back to think of all the horrible events that have happened today. There was nothing to celebrate.

He smirked at her. "To all who have survived; who will do it all over again." Elodie clapped and their mentor, Damien, managed to smile. He was Greyson's old mentor.

"To us," She whispered.

Elodie reminded Finnick and her that they could eat anything they wanted, wear anything they desired, and stay up as late as they wanted since they weren't the usual pair of tributes she received every year; and they're adults. All she requested was that they made it for dinner at seven.