14 | ASPHYXIATE

14 | ASPHYXIATE

Katniss was the first to make a move, arming herself with two arrows into her bow and then Finnick adjusting his trident in his hand

Katniss was the first to make a move, arming herself with two arrows into her bow and then Finnick adjusting his trident in his hand. Greyson nocked an arrow into her own bow and with anticipation, worriedly glanced at the hunched figure of Peeta's back. "Peeta," Katniss said as calmly as she possibly could. "I need your help with something."

"Okay," he said back casually, oblivious as to what was going on. "Just a minute. I think I've just about got it," he was still occupied with the spile and the tree. "Yes, there. Have you got the spile?"

"I do. But we've found something you'd better take a look at." Katniss said in a measured voice. Greyson could practically feel how tense Finnick was, watching every movement of the creatures above them. She had seen them before in a magazine at the Capitol, it was full of different animals. These were called monkeys.

Katniss kept talking to Peeta, "only move towards us quietly, so you don't startle it."

Peeta turned to the three, panting from his work on the tree. "Okay," he breathed. There was a hint of a question in his voice that made Greyson's fingers twitch on the bowstring. He moved at a somewhat quiet pace, his prosthetic leg not being much help. The monkeys stayed in their position. He was just five yards from the beach when he sensed them. Greyson swore under her breath as Peeta's eyes darted up to them, and it was as if he had triggered a bomb. The monkeys burst from their spots and towards the four Victors in such quick, slick movements.

She had never seen anything like it. They moved with finesse down vines as if they were greased and leapt from immaculate distances, branch to branch.

"Mutts!" Katniss spat out.

They all started hacking away in every direction, knowing that every arrow, stab, and cut must count. Greyson was beside Finnick off in her own little world of monkey limbs and barred fangs. She could feel her pulse quicken as her body filled with adrenalin, the rush making her more ruthless and murderous by the second. She even, at one point pulled out a knife from her sheath. They all form a group, back to back as they battled the monkeys.

From the corner of Greyson's eye, she saw Katniss drawing back her last arrow, and then her eyes narrow in on the moving sheath that was attached to Peeta's back. Katniss had her machete out now, yelling at Peeta. "Peeta! Your arrows!"

He turned to her and began to pull off the sheath when it happened. A monkey targeted Peeta with raised shackles and orange fur, making the whole situation seem much crazier. Greyson had that urge to save Peeta. She was about to move towards him when Finnick grabbed her by the arm and pulled her close to him.