52 | WHITE ROSES

52 | WHITE ROSES

SONG SUGGESTION: Hurt For Me by SYML

"Where's Katniss?" Greyson asked after some time. A few more days had passed in silence. Greyson had found herself quiet, deep in thought of all the events that had happened. She tried not to remember; remembering hurt. Instead, she listed off everything that happened as if it was a normal thing in her head. She recalled the Quarter Quell arena, losing Finnick, the bombing of District 4, and the horrible, horrible war that came after. Too many people died, but too many people – children, have been dying for years now. It was about time it ended. No more killing. Only silence. Peace.

But Greyson had to see Katniss first.

Finnick was eating District Four's national bread, the salty green squares a symbol of her home. A reminder that they were the last of their district. His vibrant eyes found hers. "Dunno, I left the room once, saw her in a closet hiding. Didn't say anything to me though," he shrugged.

Greyson stared out of the window to her room. Snow coated the ground, a white substance she hated looking at. It reminded her too much of everything. "I think I'm going to go find her," Greyson thought out loud.

Finnick raised a brow at her, "want me to go with you?"

She shook her head. "I think it'd be better if I went alone."

He nodded understandingly and flicked through the channels on the television, the news taken over by Rebel representatives. She pulled on the pair of boots she had taken from home when she had visited the decimated District Four, how they ended up in the President's mansion, she had no clue.

She walked the halls aimlessly. She opened doors to extravagant ballrooms, bedrooms with chandeliers, an enormous kitchen with workers diligently preparing breakfast dishes for the occupants residing in the building. Greyson passed by intricate paintings of figures and famous battles, some of them even dating back to before Thirteen rebelled against the Capitol.

Soon, she came across two soldiers guarding double doors. Her heart sped up as she questioned what hid behind the doors. The soldiers held their stance. A voice made her jump.

"Let her through," Commander Paylor said, Greyson turned around to look at her, "Katniss had the same idea earlier. I think you'll find what you're looking for in there."

The guards let her through. Greyson's hands shook as she opened the doors and slid into the greenhouse. The scent of roses hit her and consumed her sense as she walked past thousands of white roses. She found him after hearing a snipping noise echo throughout the house. He looked disheveled, his white hair unruly and his puffy pink lips as red as ever. She felt the sudden urge to pluck the dull scissors from his hands and jab him in the neck, but she restrained herself. She shook away the violent thoughts.