33 | THE RESCUE

33 | THE RESCUE

SONG PREFERENCE: Heaven by Beyoncé

"I'm just going to adjust this here, okay?" Dr. Yu said in her gentle voice. She was by the heart monitor, fixing the dials while Greyson fiddled with the cord that was connected to her finger. She liked the hospital wing, it was quiet and lulling. She wasn't sure how long she'd been with Dr. Yu, maybe an hour, maybe two? Time seemed to fly by, as the walls were white and made of stone, Greyson lost track of everything, just the way she liked it.

"Thank you," Greyson whispered sincerely, clutching the covers that were bunched up around her waist. She changed from her jumpsuit to the thin hospital gown that allowed her to move more freely. She liked it better than the ugly looking work suit that made her appear to be another face in the sea of citizens of Thirteen.

Dr. Yu pursed her lips together. "You know you can't just keep coming down here whenever you get an anxiety attack, you know that, right Greyson?"

Greyson bowed her head and nodded. "I know," she shrugged, "but I don't know how to control them alone. The one person who knew how . . ."

"I shouldn't be telling you this," Dr. Yu grumbled.

Greyson looked up to the doctor who was having an internal battle with herself. Greyson wanted to open up her head and find out what she was thinking. "What? What is it?"

Dr. Yu put down her clipboard and turned off the heart monitor. "They're rescuing them, tonight. They're already gone." Greyson's eyes widened at the news. It was so sudden, so soon. Dr. Yu continued on telling her the sparse details of the mission, not paying attention to the fact that Greyson had ripped the pulse clamp off her finger and jumped out of bed. "Greyson?" Dr. Yu called faintly. It was no use, Greyson was already searching the halls.

She didn't care that she must have looked like a wild, rampant patient gone loose. She was happy she never took her socks off because the floor underneath her feet was cold and hard.

She ran into rooms she thought the Girl on Fire would be hiding in, yet she found that the task was harder than she thought. Greyson ran down another darkly lit hallway that was wrapped in thick pipes. She then heard the light breathing coming from her left. She walked closer to the noise.

Katniss sat huddled into a ball, muttering to herself. As Greyson approached closer, Katniss sensed her and opened her eyes. Greyson sat down across from her, making sure that her hospital gown covered everything. They both stared at each other for a few seconds, and Greyson swore that for a moment she was looking into a mirror.

Greyson tilted her head, looking around at the pipes surrounding them. She had to admit it was a good hiding spot, this was so far off where she would usually wander. "So this is the end, huh? Suppose you're gonna just hide down here forever?"

"I can't be the Mockingjay," she said exasperatedly.

"Not the Mockingjay," Greyson shook her head. "Just Katniss."

Katniss studied Greyson carefully. "What are you doing here?"

"They're rescuing Peeta, and Finnick, and whoever else is alive." Greyson relayed.

Without hesitation, Katniss became alert with the sudden news. "What?" She sputtered.

"The dam went down in District Five, took out most of the power to the Capitol, knocked out their signal defense. Beetee's inside their system now wreaking all kinds of havoc. A window is open to us."