The Secret

Evelyn walked to the front door and fumbled for her keys. She'd forgotten to switch the porch light on and there was no way Caine would have. She shoved the key into the key hole and pushed the door open. Music was being played in the lounge. Piano music. Her father's grand piano. Mendelssohn's Venetian Gondola Song, it was beautiful.

She pressed herself against the wall and listened. He played without a single mistake. She had heard it played on that piano once before. She couldn't remember when or who had been playing but they'd played it exactly the way Caine was playing it; perfectly. He played the final note and she revealed herself.

"I heard you breathing," he said, "welcome home."

"Where'd you learn to play like that?" she asked.

He sighed and smiled as if remembering something pleasant, "In the late 1700s," he said, "I developed a fondness for the instrument so I found a teacher. He taught me what I needed to know and I practiced."

"You're very good," she had to complement him, she just had to.

"Thank you, would you play something for me?" the request was strange because he shouldn't have known she played.

"How did you..."

"I know a lot more about you than you think Evelyn," he said with a gleam in his wine coloured eyes, "will you play?"

He stood up and motioned for her to sit. She hesitated - partly because she was nowhere nearly as good as him and partly because she didn't want to make him feel comfortable but at the same time she wanted to - then decided to sit on the piano stool. Caine stood behind her as she held her hands above the keys. She took a moment to decide what she'd play and settled on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, something moody for the brooding ancient. She played with extra passion and will because she wanted to show him she could play well too. She actually felt like an eager child wanting to impress her parent or teacher. Caine had migrated to the couch at some point and when she finished the piece, she looked up to see that his eyes were closed and he had a tranquil expression on his face.

"Wonderful," his lips barely moved, "though your posture is atrocious."

She glared at him, "What do you mean my posture is atrocious?"

"I mean your posture is atrocious," he stood and reached her in two long strides, he put his hand on her back and pulled her shoulders backwards then adjusted her hands, "there, that's better."

She'd never sat so straight in her life, "What was that about?"

"I was fixing your posture, keep it that way. You're very talented."

She allowed a smile to creep onto her face, "Thank you."

Caine laid a hand on the piano, "This instrument is a marvel. Do you know how old it is?"

"About two hundred years old," she replied."

Caine shook his head, "It is exactly two hundred and sixty years old. It was made a year before it was purchased in 1756."

Evelyn frowned, "How do you know so much about this piano?"

He smiled, "I was its original owner. The man who made it, his name was Webber. Samuel Webber and he sold it to me for a very good price."

"W... what do you mean you were the original owner? Did you sell it?"

Caine shook his head, "I'm going to tell you a secret. One of the best kept secrets among vampires. Only five know, four of which are dead."

"Then why let me in on it?"

"Because it concerns you. One moment."

Caine went upstairs and returned with a large, flat box. It had intricate carvings on it and it looked to be made out of some dark wood. He placed it on the coffee table and sat down. He motioned for her to sit across from him so she did.