Heart of Ashes

After a long period of time, in which Evelyn and Dmitri stared at each other, Caine was getting increasingly paranoid about where he'd left the Book.

"Will somebody please just make a bloody decision?" he exclaimed, "We don't know how long it will take for the effects of being stabbed through the heart to wear off."

Evelyn continued to stare at Dmitri and, though he couldn't see him, he was pretty sure Dmitri was staring right back.

"Fine," Dmitri said, "but if you do anything I think you're going to do..."

"You'll kill me?" Caine finished for him, "When was the last time I heard that? Just hurry up."

Dmitri and Ragnar stepped into sight and began undoing locks and unwrapping chains. Relief flooded his entire body when he could move again. He put both hands on the sides of the coffin and sat up. He pushed himself out of the, unusually spacious, box and turned to Evelyn.

"Where is it?" he asked.

"Your cell," she replied, "I think you'll know it when you see it."

Caine took off down the row of cells. He stopped when he reached one that had claw marks in the stone in front of it and bars of which were bent beyond repair and there were symbols everywhere. They were strong symbols. Looking at them made him realise just how far over the edge he'd fallen this time and he knew it needed to be the last time.

He saw the Book lying on the floor in the cell. He traced his finger over the incision in the jacket then he went back to the group surrounding the coffin. Dmitri's eyes widened when he saw it.

"How the blood soaked hell did you get a hold of that?" he demanded.

"A bit of luck and a magic mirror," Caine replied, "I think. Here."

He tossed it to Dmitri and he caught it, the apprehension clear in his eyes, "I don't understand."

Caine looked at Evelyn, "I take it I told you the truth?"

She nodded, "Yeah."

Caine heard the sound of pages being ruffled and he knew Dmitri was going through it. Then he heard the Book slam shut.

"I can understand this," he said, "Caine. I. Can. Understand this. What's going on?"

Caine smiled, "Lies, deception, secrets. The usual. Put the Book down, on the floor."

Dmitri opened his mouth then shut it again. He bent to put the Book of Blood down.

"You know what?" he said, "I'm not going to argue. I'm not going to question you, because this ends now. You're going to take that damned thing, and you're going to leave. I honestly don't care where you go, I just care that you do go."

The words definitely stung but he knew he deserved it. He smiled, he was proud of Dmitri. Not even Vlad would've done that and he appreciated that Dmitri did, even though he didn't need to. He was planning on leaving. He'd been trying to leave for a long time. Granted, before he'd hoped his methods would be more permanent.

He whistled, loudly, and it didn't take long for Tara to fly through the door and land on his shoulder. He smiled, sliding his thumb over the ring on his little finger.

"There," he said, looking around at everyone in the room, "everyone I love in a room together. And Anthony and Ragnar, don't take it personally, I've just met you both."

"What are you on about?" he heard Evelyn say from somewhere behind him.

He turned around to look at her and he could have sworn he saw a flicker of red in her eyes. He squinted and it was gone.