The Guild

Waylon drummed his fingers rhythmically on the wooden table and Eoin, the man who sat next to him, had his head rested in his palm. They were both bored and Waylon was getting of waiting for the other man. Soon a likely suspect appeared; a tall, dark haired gentleman in a long leather trench coat that glistened with droplets of rainwater. His jaw was covered with a light beard. He moved across the room and sat with them.

"The name's David," he said with a heavy London accent.

Waylon nodded, "Waylon."

Eoin was still staring into space so Waylon nudged him, "Huh... oh... Eoin and you are?"

"I said," the man looked annoyed, "the name's David."

"Good meeting you," said Eoin.

A waitress popped up at David's side and took their order; three beers. There was another man, sitting at a table in a far corner, staring at them intently. He was easily recognised by his attire and Waylon waved him over. He rose and moved to their table. Evan. Three more came immediately after, two men and a woman. Jason, Kyle and Fiona. Once the introductions were exchanged, Waylon got to it.

"There have never been this many hunters in the same area at once," he said, "which can only mean that, when it comes to catching this blood sucker, there'll be conflict."

"What do you suggest?" Fiona asked, her Scottish accent just did it for Waylon as did her tight t-shirt and blonde hair.

"I suggest we work together," he said, "I mean it's the only way we'll be able to do this right."

Evan raised an eyebrow, "But we've always been solitary."

Waylon nodded, "Yes, but an alliance would be good if we're going to bring down this creature."

Jason laughed, "It's just a Fledgling that made a mistake, not an ancient. What do we need each other for?"

Waylon couldn't stop the smile spread on his face, "I'm talking about the other one."

Kyle's eyes widened in disbelief, "Another?.

Waylon produced a small stack of photos from his jacket pocket, "Take a look."

David spread them out and Waylon was horrified when Evan was the only one who'd heard of the vampire in the picture.

"Who is he?" Eoin asked.

Waylon Leland back, "That, fellow hunters, is the father of the Maragi."

Fiona frowned, "Caine? Are you sure?"

Waylon nodded, "Oh yeah."

She leaned back in her chair, "What is a vampire from the Draculesti coven doing in London?"

Waylon tilted his head from side to side, he enjoyed being the only one who knew what was going on, "There's been a change in the leadership of The Draculesti. Vladimir Dracul is dead."

The others exchanged intrigued glances then Kyle spoke up, "How do you know this?"

He sipped his beer, "I have my sources."

"Don't tell me you're rubbing shoulders with them too like that traitor Van Helsing," Eoin glared at him with a new intensity in his steely eyes.

Waylon's smile broadened, "Van Helsing isn't a traitor anymore."

Jason frowned, "He betrayed his previous vampires? Is he your source?"

Waylon shook his head, "Van Helsing's dead. Alastair, one of the vampires at Castle Dracula decided to stage a coup, involved himself with some deranged cult. "

"He succeeded?" David asked.

Waylon laughed, "Oh no, they say Caine ripped out his heart. After, almost single-handedly carving his way through half a coven of witches."

Their faces fell and David spoke after a little while, "So what do you suggest we do?"

"I say we work together," Waylon said, "we're all good at what we do. We wouldn't have lasted as long as we have if we weren't. So I say we join forces, work as a team."

David sipped his beer, "You're suggesting we form a guild?"

Fiona caught on, "Are you bloody crazy? Don't you remember what happened the last time there was a guild?"

Waylon nodded, "I remember, but we're smarter than that. We can learn from their mistakes."

David shook his head, "No, I'm not involving myself in this. It's madness, they'll find us and they'll kill us."

"Not if we're smart about it," Waylon urged, he didn't want to lose control, "and imagine, we'd be known as the slayers that killed Caine for pity's sake. Caine, the father of vampirism."

He could see in their eyes that that changed their minds. He could see that they were all attracted to claiming that title. His smile returned.

Fiona glanced at the men, "I'm in."

One by one every other hunter at the table agreed and Waylon sipped the last of his beer.

"Then it's settled," he said, "meet back here at eight and then, we hunt."