The First Change

Caine heaved his suitcase up onto the bed and pulled lifted a few shirts to get a box out. The box contained his cuff links, a few rings, his pocket watch and five rings fashioned out of silver into the shape of the Maragi crest. The raven's eye in each ring was a small onyx stone.

He put his gloves on and took three out. He held out a hand for anyone to take. Morwenna slipped her small, delicate right hand into his and he slid the ring onto her ring finger. It adjusted itself to the right fit.

"Woah," Morwenna said as she witnessed a magical ring do its thing, "that was cool."

Caine nodded, "Next?"

Evelyn was next and he put the ring on. She had a similar reaction to Morewenna. Anthony's reaction was a bit puzzling. The first thing he did was to try and remove it.

"They don't come off, genius," Morwenna said dryly.

"Why not?" Anthony stared at the ring on his finger.

"Because there is a chance the ring may get stolen or lost," Caine answered, he thought the answer to that question was quite obvious, "and without that ring, others will assume you're free."

"But we are free," Anthony argued.

Caine slapped his forehead, "Yes, I know that and you know that but the other vampires, they don't know that."

"Ohhh," Anthony said, "I get it."

Morwenna rolled her eyes, "He's not usually this slow, I promise. I think he's just trying to process everything."

Caine nodded, "I under..." he was interrupted by the sound of a phone vibrating.

He looked up to see his own cellular device about to vibrate itself of the edge of the dresser. He pushed past the youths standing in his temporary bedroom to grab it before it fell off. He looked at the Caller ID, it was Dmitri.

"Hold on a second," he said to the three young people looking at him expectantly and answered the phone, "What is it Dmitri?"

"Everybody's taken up their posts at the panic stations again," Dmitri said, "Dracul's armour is gone."

"What?" it came out a little louder than he'd intended and Morwenna, Evelyn and Anthony looked at him with more curiosity, "Hold on, Dmitri. Could you three...?" They moved out the door and Evelyn closed it, "Where were the guards?"

Dmitri was speaking in hushed tones, indicating he was not alone, "They were killed. Whoever came in here was quick, quiet and efficient because we have regular patrols in every section of the castle now."

Caine frowned, "What do you mean whoever? Where's the weapon? It must have been Blood Witches."

"No, I don't think so," Dmitri replied, "not this time. The weapon is gone and this room is clean."

"Have spoken to the patrol? They must be the ones to go look for the armour. You cannot give this information to anyone else."

"Er... that's why I'm calling you. They don't really want to listen to me, they don't view me as a superior yet."

Caine groaned, "Oh no, that means I need to officially instate you."

"I'm not looking forward to it either but it must be done."

"Which place in the castle is empty right now?"

"Now?"

"Yes, now?"

"But you're in Eng..."

"Dmitri."

"The western tower," he said, "but how..."