Old Habbits Die Hard

Caine had the gypsies from the camp across the stream in the castle. He'd explained that their ancestors had been servants in Castle Dracula before he arrived and their gut feelings and - as he said it - good sense told them to get out. Now they were back inside the castle, serving once more, in conditions far more dangerous, in Evelyn's opinion.

However, she was glad to have them there because the most elegant thing she'd managed to do with her hair prior was to make bouncy curls with a curling iron which she'd since forgotten about.

The woman behind her - Milah - was old, she had creased, sun-baked skin and long, grey hair that she wore tied back in an orange headscarf. Thin, wispy eyebrows clung to her brow line above dull, grey-blue eyes and she was missing a few teeth but still had one of the sweetest smiles Evelyn had seen. She looked like she was over a thousand years old and she was humming a melody that sounded just as ancient. Evelyn listened to it as the old woman plaited her hair and twisted it into an elegant updo. It complemented the dress' neckline marvelously. She'd done her own makeup to the best of her ability, she didn't think it was too bad. When the woman was finished with her hair she stood up and checked her overall appearance in the mirror. Something was missing but she couldn't say what.

There was a loud, sharp rapping on the door and she went to answer it. There was a man in a tuxedo standing in front of her, he looked human so she assumed he was one of the gypsies.

He bowed then presented her with a box that had been covered in blue suede, "A gift from Master Caine."

Evelyn frowned and took the box from him, "Thank you," she said and waited for him to walk away before she closed the door again.

She went back to the dressing table to open the box which, as it turned out, was a jewellery box. Her eyes widened when she saw the extravagant gift she'd been presented with. It was a diamond necklace with matching earrings. She was speechless for a moment, then two aged hands took the necklace out and she felt the cold of metal on her neck. Then the woman put the earrings on her too. Evelyn looked at herself in the mirror, that's what had been missing.

"You must be very special to him," the old woman said in a voice so heavily accented Evelyn almost didn't understand her.

Evelyn smiled, "I hope so."

The woman disappeared for a moment and returned with a pair of strappy, skyscraper stilettos. Evelyn had no idea where they'd come from. The woman crouched in front of Evelyn and seized her one foot then proceeded to slide the shoe into it.

This took Evelyn by surprise, "Oh, you don't need to..."

The woman made a sharp sound in her throat and said, "I have been serving your grandfather my entire life. I will do it."

Evelyn was, again, taken aback by this statement, "Y... you what? How did you..."

The woman looked up at her and gave her a knowing smile, "I know a lot more than most of the vampires in this castle. Especially when Master Caine is concerned."

Evelyn frowned, "You know, you speak English quite well."

"As I said, your grandfather and I were close. Now, no more questions. If you want to know more, you must ask him," she said as she slipped the other shoe on.

After arranging the complicated straps of the shoes so that they lay in the correct positions to make their pattern, Evelyn stood up and went to the full length mirror on the other side of the room, in which she studied her appearance intently. Admittedly, the dress was a little tight in places - like her hips and arms - but not so tight that it was uncomfortable. She smiled as the light caught her hair and highlighted the red sheen that she'd inherited from Caine. Her smiled broadened as she figured that the lighting must have been configured especially for him because, she noticed, wherever he was the light and shadows seemed to fall across his features in just the right places. She laughed at the ridiculous thought then realised that it was doing exactly she same for her.