The Transformation

Anthony's heart was racing and all his muscles felt tense. His bleeding palms were burning and he was breathing heavily. Caine was right it had hurt but, obviously, it had also worked.

"Well," he said, "what now?"

Caine didn't say a word, he lifted his cane and used it to point somewhere behind Anthony. Anthony turned to notice the big yellow orb hanging against a black background. Stars glittered in the sky and it really was very beautiful. Then the realisation of what was about to happen hit.

Oh bugger.

Anthony felt his muscles tense under his skin and the symbols in his palms began to burn. His heart began beating faster again until it was pounding so hard against his ribs, he thought it would explode. Breathing became increasingly difficult, it felt like his lungs were constricting as the muscles in his chest rippled under the skin. His terrified mind immediately flung itself into panic. He fell, once again, to his hands and knees. The bones in his hands began to pop and dislocate, along with every other bone in his body. He felt his knees bend backwards with his elbows. He tasted blood and felt his teeth begin to sharpen to perfect points, ripping his gums in the process. He felt his throat constricting, thus making breathing even more difficult. His spine cracked itself into a different shape and his jaw dislodged itself with a loud pop. His whole body felt like it was on fire and his blood felt like it was boiling in his veins. He tried screaming but no sound came out of his tight throat so he reached for Caine with his gnarled hands. To his horror, he saw claws growing where his - before - chewed and short nails had been, blood pooling in his cuticles. Then, he noticed fine, white hair sprouting on his hands and, as it got thicker, his hands changed completely. They turned to paws and, gradually, the pain subsided.

He felt different. Everything was... different. Things seemed more vivid, clearer, brighter. Which was odd, considering he'd heard that canines could only see in black, white and shades of grey. Smells were more potent. He could smell Caine's cologne which he hadn't really been able to before and the sounds. He could hear everything, the, once distant, rustling of leaves on the breeze could be heard as if he were standing right in the middle of the grove from which the sound originated. He could hear the sounds of various nocturnal creatures that he couldn't before. Looking at Caine, he saw him blink and he heard the sound of his top eyelashes brushing the lower ones. It was glorious.

                              ***

Caine watched as Anthony transformed, he felt himself grimacing as Anthony's features twisted in pain. He'd been expecting it though. He'd also been expecting Anthony to attack him as soon as the transformation was complete but, to his surprise and relief, he didn't.

The big, white wolf stood there on the grass in front of him, looking around, marveling at the world around him as if he were a blind man who'd miraculously had sight restored. Then he turned his head to Caine and looked at him with shining, yellow eyes. Caine smiled, proud of his new creation. It hadn't been much effort on his part but he was very pleased that Anthony was able to withstand the first transformation. Pleased to see that he'd survived. Many of his earlier test subjects - willing and unwilling - had died. Others had gone into a pain induced madness and he had to put them down himself but Anthony. Anthony was a fine specimen indeed. A beautiful representation of what blood magic could do.

Anthony turned around and he ran. That, Caine hadn't been expecting. He assumed he was just experimenting with his new found agility and it was fantastic watching him run. Despite, the thick, healthy, snow-white coat, Caine could still see his muscles moving. It was definitely a magnificent sight. It was even more definitely a satisfying feeling, having, effectively, spliced the two organisms together and it was most satisfying to know that he was the only one who knew how.

_________________________________________

Well, that was quite honestly one of the most difficult things I've had to describe. I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments or leave a vote if you liked it.

Thanks so much for reading and a Happy Easter to you all. I hope everyone is having a lovely day, God bless.

Yours,
Raine Chandler