Blood

The thump of the music from the club made the pavement shudder under Donovan's feet. He could also hear people cheering inside, sounded like they were having a hell of a party in there, but that was not what he was interested in. No, the jewel of a girl who sat outside the club on a nearby bench was what he was after.

She had thick, blonde curls that the little bursts of breeze played. It was drizzling but he knew from the distant sound of thunder it would soon start pouring. She was dressed for the club - a short, sequined, black dress and skyscraper heals - but she wasn't inside the club. She was sitting there on that bench, trying not to cry. Donovan put the pieces together, her boyfriend had obviously moved on and stood her up. He covered the distance and sat next to her.

"Lovely, night don't you think?" he said, a weak attempt at a conversation starter, "I've always like the rain."

She shrugged a shoulder, "I guess so."

"My name's Donovan," he said.

"Denise," she replied sticking out her hand, "nice to meet you."

He shook her hand, "That's a Lovely name. Are you alright?"

"Sorry?"

"I was on my way to the club and saw you sitting here on your own," he lied, "is everything alright?"

She sighed, "Yeah, I'm fine it's just..."

"Your boyfriend dumped you?"

"How did you..."

"Know? I just have a knack for picking up on people's vibes I guess. Don't worry about him, he's a loser anyway."

He didn't need to look to know she was smiling, her heart told him everything, "Have you met?" she asked.

He shook his head, "Nah, but anyone who'd dump a beautiful girl like you is a loser in my opinion."

"Was that a pick up line?" she was trying to keep the laughter out of her voice.

He faced her, "Was it?"

The smile spread on her face, "That's very inappropriate."

He smiled back, "I'm not know for being appropriate..." he stopped, "that came out wrong, didn't it?"

"Only a little," she had perfect,.white teeth.

"What's say you and I have some fun without that loser?" he blurted.

"What do you have in mind?"

He stood up and extended his hand, "M'lady?"

She giggled and slipped her warm hand into his cold one. Donovan led her to the park a block away. The club became a distant pounding. He took his cellphone out of his pocket and put his playlist on shuffle. He'd selected a few slow, romantic pieces.

"Shall we?" he extended his hand again and almost gagged on how cliché he was being.

Again she took it and gave him a big, beautiful smile, "We shall."

He pulled her close and took the lead. He carefully guided her around the small area in which they danced. He let three songs play before he got bored. He lifted his arms and she spun under it, their fingers still entwined. Her back rested against his chest and he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"This was really nice," he said.

"It was," she replied, "do... do you think we can do it again sometime?"

He smiled, "Absolutely."

He kissed he jaw and, oddly, she didn't seem to mind then lowered his kisses to her neck. The feeling of sharp fangs sliding down from his gums invigorated him but not as much as the taste of Denise's sweet blood. It's scent was reminiscent of jasmine and the taste was like some heavenly tea fusion. She winced and tried to get away but he held her tight, he refused to let his prey go. He drank until there was nothing left. Her body went limp and cold in his arms and he lowered her to the grass. His first kill and he was still hungry.