The Reunion

Evelyn watched as Caine gazed into the eyes of the old woman in front of him. His expression was strange, almost loving... no. Not loving, nostalgic. His eyes darkened with nostalgia. The old crone had a similar look in her eyes but she had a satisfied smile on her face as well. Caine seemed to get over his nostalgia as a smirk slowly pulled at one corner of his mouth.

"You look horrible," he said, leaning on his cane.

The woman's thin, grey eyebrows knitted together, "Says the vampire with greying hair and a walking stick."

Caine chuckled, "Do not speak of greying hair and walking sticks, old woman, when you walk, hunched and crooked and pure silver grows from your scalp."

The old woman's smile broadened and she closed her eyes. She began to change before Evelyn's eyes. Her hunched back straightened, her grey hair began to darken, her eyebrows got thicker and youth was restored to her skin. Even her clothes changed and the air glittered until the woman standing with Caine was no longer and old crone in a headscarf and frumpy clothing. Instead, the woman had smooth, healthy, fair skin and long, dark brown curls. Her old lady clothes had been replaced by a long, blue dress with a plunging neckline and her headscarf became a black cloak with a hood. Her eyes were elegantly outlined with black kohl and they glittered green as she looked at Caine with a smile on her red-blushed lips.

Caine put a hand on her face, "That's better."

Then something weird and unexpected happened. Caine pressed his lips against the woman's lips and she kissed him back.

"I thought you were dead," he said when they broke the kiss.

Their faces were so close that, when she blinked, her long, dark lashes brushed his cheeks, "Well, sorry to disappoint."

Evelyn cleared her throat, she really wanted to know what the hell was going on, "Umm... terribly sorry but what's going on?"

Caine turned his head, "Oh, sorry. Evelyn, this is your grandmother, Mercedes."

_________________________________________

Short one this time. I hope you're enjoying the story.

-Raine Chandler