Chapter 10: The Crimson King?!

F I R S T A R C : B E G I N! [ Opening: Wonderful World by FUNKIST ]

Special OST: Holy Ground (Haine Shrine)
__________________________

Chapter 10: The Crimson King?!

___ ___ ____ _____ ____ _____ ____

S O M E W H E R E O N T H E M O U N T A I N

Karvella stands in a defensive pose, cuts covering her body. The figure standing in front of her, blocking her path is tall and slender but hard to see in the darkness. It holds a bloodied katana but its hands are unseen.

"Move it or lose it," she growls.

The figure tilts its head slightly, an amused, disembodied chuckle coming from its lips. Karvella's scowl deepens, her temper quickly reaching its brink. She jumps at her opponent but they dodge swiftly. She hadn't even seen them move. Karvella curses beneath her breath as the figure appears behind her.

"You're as reckless as always."

The resonating, deep voice makes her grip the handle of her sword tighter, turning her knuckles white. She turns around and stands with her hand on her hip.

"What are you doing here?"

The figure steps into the slight sunlight streaming in through the trees. He's a tall man with blonde hair, tied into a ponytail that hangs to his shoulders. He is wearing a well made, deep red kimono that hangs loosely on his body, revealing his chest. On his feet are wooden Geta sandals, with red designs etched into them. His golden eyes shimmer with contempt and familiararity.

"Keeping you from dragging yourself down any longer. Your actions have been careless recently. He's noticed."

Karvella rolls her eyes.

"As if he cares. He's the one who sent me away in the first place. I wonder if He knew that my mother was dead before he made me leave."

"He didn't."

"You sound quite sure of that. You've always been His loyal guard dog, haven't you?"

He puts his hand over the opposite side of his heart and bows slightly.

"Til death, milady."

Karvella bites her lip and stares down the side of the mountain, the scent of blood growing stronger.

"I need to save my friend."

The blonde man smiles slightly as he puts his katana away.

"When did you make a so-called friend? Is this friend a male? Have you forgotten your duties?"

"Shuddup and leave me alone," she says roughly, "I hate my duties. So why don't you go fetch a stick or something, bastard."

He chuckles as Karvella pushes past him and continues her descent down the mountain-side. Ahead at the base of the mountain, she hears a whoosh of fabric and her head snaps up. Karvella watches in horror as Sole flies upwards into the sky. Her eyes open widely and she jumps to the top of the trees. She's so far off, catching him is impossible. Sole begins to fall downwards, doing flips in the sky.

Karvella can feel her heart racing as she runs as fast as her legs can carry her. The adrenaline rushing through her body makes it impossible for her to tire out. Sole's body disappears past the trees, his coat whipping through the air towards Karvella. She catches it without stopping and jumps down onto the floor. She hears the first agonizing cry; the sound hurts Karvella's ears as she finally reaches the open field. Another horrified scream hits her ears as she enters the clearing and she takes in the scene. Sole is withering on the ground while Michean and Annicia try desperately to attack a large snake-like Caravala.