Dreaming

A/N: this is the sequel to Just Business that I wrote a few chapters back. So if you haven't read it, please do so before you continue!

It was early morning and I had been working on papers all night. "You need to rest Ariel," I told myself, but I knew it wasn't going to be possible. Not with everything that is happening lately. I put the papers away and forced myself to get into bed and sleep.

As my alarm went off I got up, showered, and went by the bakery to pick up some Danishes for breakfast at the office. Upon my arrival everyone was already there which was shocking. Normally I would be one of the first.

Was there a meeting I forgot about?

Faces glared at me with scorn, mocking, and few with sorrowful sympathy. I didn't understand what was going on. I approached my friend Emily to ask her what on earth was happening, but she turned to me with hatred beaming in her blue eyes.

"I can't believe you! I never want to talk to you again, you pregnant slut!" She stood with papers in her hand and stormed off.

Everyone began to whisper and point at me. When everything suddenly quieted down I turned to see Shannon standing at his office door.

"Ariel, I made a mistake. This was never going to work out, and I'm sorry, but you need to pack your things and leave. I want you out by noon."

"What?" The word just barely escaped my lips.

Shannon began to turn back into his office. I rushed to catch him but the door slammed in my face before I could get to him.

"Shannon! Shannon! Shannon!!!"

I jolted awake with perspiration coating my face and neck and my breathing heavy and labored.

Tears began form in my eyes and I shakily wiped them away. I held myself for a moment trying to calm down. Then my alarm sounded.

I was tempted to call in sick today. I couldn't deal with this unbearable secret. I stood up and went to my mirror seeing my enlarging stomach.

He's needs to know. But he hasn't said a word to you in almost weeks. There's no way he wants you anymore.

I was fighting with myself. Shannon and I had been happy for a while after our first encounter, but he soon became more and more distant. Then I found out I was pregnant, and I couldn't bring myself to tell him.

I needed to tell someone. Emily. Praying that my nightmares were just that, I quickly showered and put on a loose flowing sundress that hid my baby bump. I applied make up to hide my sleep deprived facial features and made my way to work.

When I arrive I was later than usual so my floor was almost full, but thank god no one was really paying me any attention. I saw Emily sitting at her desk working on her computer.

"I have to tell you something, and swear to me you won't tell ANYONE!" I whisper yelled.

She looked at me alarmed but nodded. "What's wrong babe?"

"I'm pregnant."

Emily gave me a devilish smile. "Who's the lucky man?"

"Shannon."

Her smile quickly faded and was replaced with worry and horror.

"Shannon... Like our boss Shannon?"

I nodded and tried to hold back tears.

"When did you find out and why the hell haven't you told him!"

"Keep your voice down, and I can't. I've wanted to, but I just can't. I feel like he's going to reject me and--" I began to cry.

"Ariel, you do know he's leaving right? The C.E.O is relocating him TODAY."