Nico

"Please Nico do not do this!" Hazel cried as she pounds on the bathroom door. "Nico!" She cries again trying to be heard over the sound of roaring water. 

Nico has tears streaming down his face. He doesn't want to leave Hazel, but he is so done with this world. He does not fear death at the moment, instead he welcomes it as he climbs into the bath tub. He leaves the water running as he lays down, putting his head under the water. He hears the water, Hazel screams, and her pounding the door. He sees nothing but darkness now. He was not holding his breath. 

*                                                                                         *                                                                                     *

Fuzzy. Everything is fuzzy as Nico opens his eyes. He sits up and knows that he is not dead. He is sitting on the bathroom floor, soaking wet. "Oh Nico..." Hazel whispers wiping away tears. Nico lays back down, staring up at the ceiling.  

How could I do this to Hazel? All she has ever done is love me, and I try to leave her. I should be dead right now. Dead... 

"Nico," Hazel says softly, helping him sit up. "Your step mom will be home soon. I will clean up this water. You should dry off and get dressed for bed. Put your wet clothes in the laundry room. I know I sound bossy, but making her mad will only make things worse. For everyone." 

Nico gets to his feet and goes to his room. He knows Hazel will be leaving soon. She is his half sister, she lives with her mom but visits their dad on weekends. Nico wishes that Hazel would never leave. She is the only reason that Nico is alive. 

He does what Hazel told him to. She is right and Nico knows it. His step mom already hates him for breathing and walking on this Earth, he does not need another reason for her to hate, him more than she already does. 

Dad cheated on her with my mom, twice. Plus he cheated on her with Hazel's mom. She has no reason to love me. No one has any reason to love me. Not even Hazel. She should hate me. 

"Are you going to be okay?" Hazel asks, standing outside in cold star filled night. "I am never okay..." Nico mumbles miserably, because he hates the fact that Hazel is leaving. 

"Promise me that I will see you after school tomorrow," Hazel pleads. 

"Promise." 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." 

They wrap their arms around each other in a tight embrace. They pull away from the moment of comfort and Nico watches as Hazel walks away, to the bus stop down the street. 

"Be safe..." Nico tells Hazel even though she is already gone.