Need your help

(Finally pic of Nick above)

I went shopping with the girls so I would have something to wear tonight. They both picked me out a wonderful colorful dress that a friend would wear while going out with another friend, not like a date dress. I wondered if he was a doctor. I didn't ask because we talked about so many other things.

All morning I wondered if I wasn't good enough to ask on a date, not that I cared. Was me not being a doctor a deal breaker? It couldn't be he still wanted to hang out. I looked at the clock, it was time.

We met at a fun pizza place with an attached arcade. It seemed more of a family friendly place. Hence the friend hangout, I guess. He sat across the room waving me over. His hair still perfectly messy only this time no suit. He was in a nice royal blue button up and plaid black slacks. Oh my god, he is so handsom. Why are we doing this friends thing again?

"Hey Jess, how's it going?" I smiled, "Good so far, this will be interesting." I say as I scale the perimeter. "It will be fun, hope you like pizza." I shake my head, "So Nick, what is it that you do?" He looked up at me with a big mouthful of pizza, "not fair, you still hadn't told me yet and I asked you first." "I'm a pediatric oncology nurse at the childrens hosptail, Going to school to be an NP, maybe continue going further."

His eyes now wide and a smile on his face. He took a napkin from the table wiping his mouth. "I'm a general surgeon. I love what I do and I have everything that I could ever want. That's why I don't understand why I still need for things. Like the need for your help Jess." He took both my hands in his looking very serious, "I need to move on, from my old life, from everything in my past. I have been running from it for far too long but I can't seem to ever forget. It always catches up to me."

I saw tears in his eyes as he put his hand in front of his face, so I couldn't see him. "Nick, I don't know what's happened in your past but what makes you think I can help you?"

"I need to be distracted, I have tried everything. I've been with women and all of them make me feel guilty. I have hired people to distract my thoughts but it doesn't work. I have worked overtime and tried to pull extra shifts but I find that im just drowning and when I lay in my bed everynight the nightmares hit. Everywhere I turn I seem to be reminded of....I have tried everything."

This was bigger than a friendship, he needed a shrink. "Nick, I'm sorry, It seems like whatever your caught up in is dark. One day it seems like it will all catch up to you anyway. I don't want to be involved."

I stood up and started to walk out. Who was this lunatic? I guess that's the only kind of guys I attract now days. I really liked him at first too, ha no wonder he is single. He uses women for one night stands to forget his miserable past. I didn't want to be his friend.

My hand was snatched backwards, Nick. "Hear me out, my family died in an accident 2 years ago. My sweet little child, no longer here in this world with me. There is nothing I can do to get rid of the memory. It's driving me crazy, Jess. Last night we talked and laughed and I finally felt hope and my mind was clear and finally free. Hope to be able to get rid of all the memories."

My heart broke to pieces...he lost his family.

*********************
Don't forget to like or comment if you enjoy🌟