Nightmares

"First things first Nick, You can't forget the memories of your family. You don't actually want to forget, do you? Shouldn't you want to remember all the good and special times together?"

His eyes still filled with water and his voice cracked, "I cant, every time I turn around, on a poster or a saying on a billboard. It's painful, I want to forget."

"If I am going to help you we will start off small. Let's get you back to smiling again." I grabbed his hand and we entered the arcade.

We both had a blast. We played on teams on the first person shooter game vs aliens. He smiled and laughed and when I looked into his eyes I couldn't see any pain.

I would try to help him, he seemed kind enough and I had a heart to help people. That's why I loved my profession so much. There wasn't a better feeling than helping someone or making someone's day.

We spent all day together laughing and playing laser tag and paintball. I have to admit, it was turning out to be a pretty eventful weekend. I can't remember when I laughed so hard, watching Nick hide behind a blockade thinking I was going to come around the right. I come around the left and unloaded all my paintballs while laughing uncontrolably. He had blue all in his hair from the paint.

He walked me out to my car, "today, I had fun Jess. So you'll do it, you will help me?" I smiled up at him, "yes, but there are some steps we are going to take...gradually you will break out of your fear of memories."

I thought all night wondering what happened to Nicks family. Why he didn't want to remember them, it must have been really hard to lose your family. I wondered how many kids and what his wife was like. Nick was 27, my age so I wondered how old his kids were and how Long had he'd been married. I knew I wouldn't get my answers from him, not with him wanting to forget.

I woke up to my phone vibrating. It's 3am who could be calling me. It's Nick! I answered, "Nick are you ok?" I heard some muffled sounds in the phone. "I had a horrible dream. I...I can't do this anymore. I don't want to think or feel anymore. I want to be numb. Jess, I'm a jerk! I will not drag you through anymore of my crazy life. I'm not stable, I....I won't drag you down." That was it...he hung up. I didn't get a word in or anything. I couldn't go back to sleep after that. Nick had me worried sick. I locked my dump of an apartment and headed to the nearest coffee shop. Yes, at three in the morning. My apartment wasn't a dump because of the inside. I tried to make it look very nice inside, very modern, to make up for the neighborhood and building.

Slowly sipping my latte, I texted Nick:"You are a jerk, Nick! You don't ask someone to be your friend and then ask your friend for help and then shut me out. Some friend you are. Maybe I need a friend too Nick! Friendship does not have an on and off switch, you can't turn it on when it's convenient and off when it's not! Friendship is when your there for eachother, need I even have to explain this to you."

#vote